Melee weapon upgrades

Help make BFME better, express your opinions

Moderator: Solethria

Poll: Should we remove the weapon upgrades?

Interface will indicate if a horde has weapon upgrades (no glowing effect)
64%
Remove the weapon upgrade option completely
3%
Just make it as it is in BFME
23%
I have my own idea about that! (comments)
10%

Total votes: 69

Jokuc

Re: Melee weapon upgrades

Post by Jokuc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Can simply make the weapons slightly brighter/reflective to make it look like a newer/sharper sword. As you said in the OP I think it would be cool to have weapon upgrades for elves shine a little bit blue, but other than that I do not want to see Gondor Soldiers and Dwarves running around with lightsabers and cerainly not Uruks looking like sith lords.

I must add that I think it is a horrible idea to not have any visual change whatsoever as players must be able to judge whether to engage in a battle or not. Shouldn't have to press all of your opponents units to see if they have upgrades, that's just frustrating.
Coder, mapper, player

Solethria

Re: Melee weapon upgrades

Post by Solethria » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Jokuc wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:05 pm
Can simply make the weapons slightly brighter/reflective to make it look like a newer/sharper sword. As you said in the OP I think it would be cool to have weapon upgrades for elves shine a little bit blue, but other than that I do not want to see Gondor Soldiers and Dwarves running around with lightsabers and cerainly not Uruks looking like sith lords.

I must add that I think it is a horrible idea to not have any visual change whatsoever as players must be able to judge whether to engage in a battle or not. Shouldn't have to press all of your opponents units to see if they have upgrades, that's just frustrating.
This is the most recent statement on how the upgrade approach will be:
We are aiming at preserving the special elegant style of LOTR and that's why we want to avoid making cartoonish, stylized glowing blades of common Gondor soldiers and orcs, the only exception being the elven enchanted weapons. To fill in the void, we are preparing different and interesting upgrades.
- https://bfmereforged.org/
Also this statement when it comes to the properties of armor and how they are affected by lighting:
Thanks to new shaders, objects in game acquire physically correct lighting and shadowing: elven armor and blades get shiny under a bright sun, orc inferior and dirty weaponry and armor are dim under same circumstances.
- https://bfmereforged.org/
Forum Moderator