BfME1 Optional Rule Sets and Campaign/Skirmish Mode

Moderator: Solethria

Aber-siig

BfME1 Optional Rule Sets and Campaign/Skirmish Mode

Post by Aber-siig » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:03 pm

Hi there!

Let me start by saying that I found BfME Reforged fairly recently and I cannot put into words how happy it made me when I first saw the teaser. It brought back many great memories from what was my absolute first RTS experience. I bought and played this so much when it launched and it was my number-two go-to game for maybe three or four years afterwords.

I've never had the pleasure of playing the second game. I'd often hear the good and bad about it, just like there was for the first game. But just like the first game I still wanted to play it, just never having gotten around to it.

That being said, as I've already indicated, BfME1 is where my nostalgia and interest stems from, and, while I can't wait to play through the game which the devs intend and are undoubtedly still fleshing out with much appreciated effort, I would still love to be able to replay the story as it was created and told in the first game, though with the graphical and technological updates which Reforged will bring with it.

I've been reading through other threads for a while and have come across information which details the building mechanics from BfME2 being used for the default scheme for Reforged. I've never played the second game but would gladly learn them. But again, if there could be a way to implement the campaign from the first game, could there also be optional rule sets to use the building mechanics from BfME1 as well to create a more classic experience?

And This also makes me wonder if it'd be possible/efficient to allow other optional rule sets, not just for campaign mode, but for skirmishes as well in order to modify the experience and customize the gameplay.

Like being able to alter how quickly resources are gained. How many units per faction are allowed. How quickly you can build structures, create units or summon heroes. The time of day. Weather. How long it takes for upgrades to be created. Attributes for units which have AoE abilities such as Gandalf's Word of Power spell or Explosive Mines which are lit by a Berserker's torch, after being placed.

This sort of open-endedness really speaks to me as a PC gamer, feeling that the more settings and options there are for me to play with lends itself well to the power and sheer ability which our machines typically have and takes advantage of all the reasons why PC gaming overshadows console gaming in terms of the possibility for feature-rich content.

In lieu of my extra hopes and dreams for this project, I can't look past what would ultimately still be a great experience and a blast from the past, created by people with an obvious passion for the BfME series and LoTR as a whole.

Lostir

Re: BfME1 Optional Rule Sets and Campaign/Skirmish Mode

Post by Lostir » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:15 pm

I doubt that a switch between different building styles is possible because those are far too different and affect far too many things.

But I like the other options for user descisions and game customazing.

Solethria

Re: BfME1 Optional Rule Sets and Campaign/Skirmish Mode

Post by Solethria » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Aber-siig wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:03 pm
Hi there!

Let me start by saying that I found BfME Reforged fairly recently and I cannot put into words how happy it made me when I first saw the teaser. It brought back many great memories from what was my absolute first RTS experience. I bought and played this so much when it launched and it was my number-two go-to game for maybe three or four years afterwords.
Hey, welcome to the forum! First of all thanks for the kind words :)

It is indeed true our focus for the main gameplay is on the building system of bfme2. Like Lostir said this is already a very heavy task to achieve. However, if can live to see the day we have time for this, we want to make some specific maps that use the bfme1 style as well. So, no promises but maybe something like that will down the line make it into the game.

About customization, yes there is many more flexibility to be had on that side. We've not really delved into that yet but in it is something we can look into after the core functionalities are finished.
Forum Moderator