How about replay system?

Moderator: Solethria

Gusto

How about replay system?

Post by Gusto » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm

When i researched about replay system implemented on old bfme games i learned that it is deterministic one which is system only collect players inputs by this method u can keep size of replay file small, thats why almost all games use this method. But I also read that (might be wrong) unreal engine or unity are suitable for
mainly fps games and not suitable for rts games. Because this replay system requires deterministic simulation, game or engine needs to be deterministic even game dedicated server needs to be deterministic. When i searched somehow equilavent for bfme kind games made it by unreal or unity engine, i found none. I also checked that their markets for replay addons and existed ones seems realy primitive, not like bfme replay system. My question is have you considered replay implementation or making game deterministic. I havent seen in the forum or future plan. I learned making replay system realy complicated task but i think it is crucial part for multiplayer experience and community. So i hope you do.

OneEyedBear

Re: How about replay system?

Post by OneEyedBear » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:09 pm

A replay system would be awesome. It would make casting BFME much easier which would only grow the exposure of BFME reforged.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:06 pm

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There is enough other work to be done.

But I personally don't really know how easy/difficult such a system is. If I'm not mistaken BfME's replay system basically safes every single input with a timestamp and reproduces them. But I guess the more complex the game becomes the more complex a replay system becomes too.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:27 pm

Actually, we plan to have a replay system as you can see in our main menu UI. We are lucky enough that Unreal Engine 4 has a built in Replay system with quite the functionalities. We will be looking to make use of that system and it will make the process of creating the Replay system a whole lot easier for us. To my knowledge, we will be able to use it.

Otherwise, we would probably never have been able to pull this off.
Forum Moderator

Gusto

Post by Gusto » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks for answering. Good to hear and such a relief.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:01 am

Oh, that is really great.