Passive Hero Upgrades (Suggestion)

Moderator: Solethria

Gandolfini

Passive Hero Upgrades (Suggestion)

Post by Gandolfini » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:40 pm

In BFME1 we had Palantir spells for Gandalf the White and Anduril, which changed the skins and stats for Gandalf and Aragorn. While in BFME2: Gandalf the Grey turns into Gandalf the White at level 5. It would be cool to have something similar to this in the Reforged version.

Strider Aragorn (The Prancing Pony) -> King Aragorn (The Black Gate).
Fellowship Boromir (Pre Lothlorien) -> Osgiliath Boromir (Captain of Gondor).

Not only giving them a visual change as they progress in either levels or by passive upgrades, whatever is fine, but also increasing their stats ever so slightly, and even change how they interact with other characters/spells. (Like how Eowyn's smite deals bonus damage to Nazguls).

Example: Saruman's fireball could deal more damage to Gandalf the Grey, but less to Gandalf the White.
BFME1 player (T3A: Online Community)

Logosarche

Re: Passive Hero Upgrades (Suggestion)

Post by Logosarche » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 am

Hi, I really like your idea :) but it would be maybe too hard work to implement? I mean that faction heroes would need to be reworked each time a new faction comes out.
Maybe we should stick to visual changes only? Like Saruman the White turning into the Multicolor when he reaches level 10.

Gandolfini

Post by Gandolfini » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Logosarche wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 am
Hi, I really like your idea :) but it would be maybe too hard work to implement? I mean that faction heroes would need to be reworked each time a new faction comes out.
Maybe we should stick to visual changes only? Like Saruman the White turning into the Multicolor when he reaches level 10.
I don't really know if it is such a big problem. Ofc I have no idea how the new system will work, but this is how the DamageScalar used to look like in the old BFME:
As you can see, Eowyn's Smite deals 5% to buildings, 400% to FellBeast and Eagles, and 500% to Witch King.

They already have to implement some sort of a DamageScalar system for different units to deal the right amount of damage to other units/structures. Even if they don't have all the heroes ready yet, creating the weapon stats for each hero shouldn't be too far fetched.

Gandolfini

Post by Gandolfini » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm

In the movies we see Éomer taking down two Mumakils using his spear throw. Maybe give his spear a small % dmg increase to Mumakils?

From the books Éomer also killed Úgluk:
When Uglúk was overtaken and brought to bay at the very edge of Fangorn. There he was slain at last by Éomer, the Third Marshal of the Mark, who dismounted and fought him sword to sword.

Logosarche

Post by Logosarche » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Ok I see, well I suppose it only depends on the time the developpers are willing to spend on these passives. I am not really fond overpowered heroes but if it's as easy as you have shown and it doesn't break the game then there should be no cause of any concerns :D

Deanlan

Post by Deanlan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am

I just hope the power creep doesn't get out of control.

Gandolfini

Post by Gandolfini » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Deanlan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am
I just hope the power creep doesn't get out of control.
Could always make their initial state be weaker than normal, and upgraded version could be slightly stronger. The difference in power level could also vary for each hero.

This way there won't be much power creep or any at all.