Spell books for remaining factions

Moderator: Solethria

Solethria

Spell books for remaining factions

Post by Solethria » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi folks!

As you might know, the team is reconsidering the spell books for lore, unique approach and balance.

For the remaining factions (all except Isengard), we give you the chance to think with us! What spells would you like to see replaced / reworked and do you have a good possible replacement for it? Tell us why it should be replaced!

- Fits other faction better (there will be no duplicate spells).
- Doesn't fit the game / lore at all.
- It currently is under- / overpowered.
- My idea is just more awesome!

Keep in mind:

- What should your idea replace? 5, 10, 15, 25 spell?
- Of what faction?
- How should it work?

- BFME: Reforged Team
Forum Moderator

Archaon | Everchosen

Re: Spell books for remaining factions

Post by Archaon | Everchosen » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 am

Elven Wood - does not fit Gondor at all - I feel like it is self-explanatory as to why. The theme of the power doesn't fit Gondor, neither does it's aesthetic. I also think that 50% armour increase is far too powerful.

Balrog - does not fit Mordor either in my opinion. I suggested in another post that you could make a power that increases Saurons power and (or) versatility. I know Edain does something like this - but taking inspiration from the modification isn't bad. I also read that the team wants to make Sauron have a bigger presence in the game - and this can be another additive. You could move the Eye of Sauron from a low-tier to a high-tier power, as it is Saurons gaze after all - however it would need to be a lot more powerful.

I also suggest making a monthly post on what the team is up too. It doesn't have to be huge, just something small so the community knows where the progress is. What unit did you just complete? What are we doing now? If you haven't progressed much - no harm done, I just think it is helpful and beneficial to everyone to let people know how the development of the game is progressing. I know you have the sub-forum Vault - but that is intermittent and scattered.
"I am the Final Moment made flesh. I stand here on this mountain, and I will sit on this throne. I will be the axis upon which the wheel of change turns, and the world will drown in the light of unborn stars."

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Rohan Allies:
Rohan being already a part of the Men faction, it doesn't make sense to have a Rohan Allies spell.

Tom Bombadil for Men:
Him being in one spellbook to be included in the game is ok, but it shouldnt be the one of the Men faction.

Earthquake for Men:
Has 0 connection with the faction and is a doubling with dwarves.

Farsight for Elves:
Having the spell in the spellbook and in Elronds ability set is just a doubling. Also it is just a renamed Palantir spell.

Sunflare:
The spell has zero background and doesnt really fit for the faction.

Flood:
Arwen has the same spell so it shouldn't appear twice. But the spellbook is the better place for it.

Hobbits for Dwarves:
The dwarves never had much to do with Hobbits except Bilbo. Having a whole spell summoning Hobbits seems to be too much. In particular if Gondor has the same spell.

Men of Dale Allies:
Men of Dale are a part of the faction already. No need to summon them via the spellbook.

Cloud Break for dwarves:
Rename the spell with Durins Day and give it a fitting visual.

Industry for Mordor:
The same spell as Isengards, but fits Isengard much better.

Wyrm for Mordor:
Doesn't fit for Mordor at all.

Wild Men Allies for Wild:
Being the only humans in the faction seems really weird and they should be replaced by something different.

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Wild Men Allies for Wild:
Being the only humans in the faction seems really weird and they should be replaced by something different.
:? :?: What faction do you mean?
"A new power is rising!"

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:56 pm

I agree with Lostir to remove all the powers of summoning troops that can already be recruited. I am taking into account the post of Confirmed spells and possible replacements

Elves
-5pp Rework Farsight, this time reveals an elongated and narrow area, useful for spying roads, also makes it different from Palantir and Eye of Sauron
-5pp"Miruvor & Lembas" instead of Heal, heals a little and temporarily increase the speed of the selected troops
-5pp "Weapon Song" Temporarily increase the damage of the selected units
-10pp Tom Bombaldill
-10pp Enshrouding Mist
-10pp Arrow voley only aviable for this faction as "Leithio", but keep it in the elite archers from other factions
-10pp Elvenwood: Also temporariy increses the production of nearly mallorns.
-15pp In discord was a discussion about "Summon well" instead of Heal, I suggest "Elven lament": the fortress and mallorns temporalily willl emit an aura chant that heals
-15pp "Starlight": Heals units and gives them and Xp boost
-15/25pp "Huorn forest": "swallows"a few or some enemy batallions
-25pp Flood
-Remove Sunflare

Mordor
-5pp "Crack the whip" instead of warchant, highly increases the unit speed in one direction and their fear resistance
-5pp Eye of Sauron now reduce the buildings production, research upgrade or recruitment
-5/10pp "Marshes": Instead of Tainted Land, this wasteland have a poisonous air that reduce the enemy armor, damage and health over time
-10pp Barricade
-10pp Untamed Alligeance
-10/15pp "Slavery" instead of industry, the selected enemy production building will now produce resources for you
-15pp "Call the Horde": temporarily make orc units free and reduce their recruitment time
-15pp Darkness
-25pp "The Wolfshead": Grond, a terrifying and very resistant siege machine that destroys everything with a couple of hits
-25pp Rain of Fire

MoTW
-5pp Raying Call
-5pp "Harvest time": The selected production building will immediately produce three times the resources it currently produces (only once).
+10pp Rebuild
-10pp Lone Tower
-10pp "Hobbit friendship" instead of Hobbit allies, summon Merry and Pippin with some hobbit batallions.
-10pp "Last Alliance" instead of Dunedain allies, summon some elven batallions.
-15pp "Draft" : For a very short time it will reduce the recruitment time of all the barracks
-15pp Cloud break
-15pp "The Eagles are coming" (Eagle allies)
-25pp Oathbrakers
-25pp Earthquake, I think is based on the ending of Morannon.

Dwarves
-5pp "Roäc": temporarily summon this raven, a scout hero unit
-5pp"Baruk Khazad" instead of Rallying call, makes units fearless
-5pp "Debris wall" temporarily summon a debris wall
-10pp "Enchanted treasure" If the selected allied building is destroyed, it will return part of the resources it consumed to be built as chests.
-10pp"Angry fishermen" instead of Dale allies, a harass unit
-10pp "Deep digging": The selected mineshaft will give 0.000000000000001% of EA incomes after some time (maybe need some balance)
-10pp "Ithildin runes": temporarily make the building invulnerable
-15pp "Beorn": Temporarily summons Beorn in bear form
-15 Barrage
-15pp "Durin´s day": Heals buildings and stop the production of the enemy ones
-15/25pp Summon citadel renamed as "Durin colony"

Gobs (they really need a better name)
-5pp "Thirst for blood" instead of Warchant, increases damage against the selected enemy batallion
-5pp "Growing Strong" undergrowth land that slow down the enemy
-10pp "Hole": "swallows"one batallion
-10pp "Gundabad Bats": Instead of Cave bats, they also attack.
-15pp "Evil Mist" instead of Darkness, reduce enemy range and cancels leadership
-15pp Watcher in the Water
-15pp"Wereworm" instead of Wyrm: Allows to TP your units from A to B and also attack.
-25pp "Summon Cold Drake" instead of Summon Smaug: Please replace Drogoth with the Golden Boy. Cold drake dont have wings and cannot breath fire, so make them highly melee agressive and different from fire Balrog abilities
-25pp "Flame of Udûn" (Balrog)
Last edited by BlackDouglasOK on Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:21 am, edited 20 times in total.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Full written concept as discussed on Discord:

Replace the 10 power point spell 'watch tower' from men with 'The Beacons are Lit'.

Spawn a permanent beacon. This beacon will do a certain (yet to be determined) effect. The more beacons you manage to keep alive simultaneously, the more this effect stacks (up to 3 beacons, after that the effect stays the same).

When you achieve 3 beacons simultaneously, you've reached the final stacked effect (perhaps bonus effect) and the beacons will be lit in a special way. The beacons have to be X distance apart.
Forum Moderator

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Zagloba wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 pm
:? :?: What faction do you mean?
Wild = the original name EA wanted to give to Goblins. It's also possible Reforged will use 'Wild' as the faction name instead of 'Goblins'.
Forum Moderator

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Solethria wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Wild = the original name EA wanted to give to Goblins. It's also possible Reforged will use 'Wild' as the faction name instead of 'Goblins'.
Both are bad names
Where is Werewolf with his suggestions?

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 am

-Remove lone tower.
I don't think removing lone tower while the other land spells remain is a good idea. Similar to the weather spells which can counter each other, the land spells like Elven Wood, Tainted Land and Lone Tower each help controlling a certain area. As long as the other land spells aren't reworked to not work that way, balance will require every faction to have one.

Solethria wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm
Full written concept as discussed on Discord:

Replace the 10 power point spell 'watch tower' from men with 'The Beacons are Lit'.

Spawn a permanent beacon. This beacon will do a certain (yet to be determined) effect. The more beacons you manage to keep alive simultaneously, the more this effect stacks (up to 3 beacons, after that the effect stays the same).

When you achieve 3 beacons simultaneously, you've reached the final stacked effect (perhaps bonus effect) and the beacons will be lit in a special way. The beacons have to be X distance apart.
That sounds pretty similar to what Edain is going to have in their next version.

Every Signal Fire generates Errand Riders and if you have enough of those you can summon a supporting army from the Fiefdoms (or in the past from Rohan)

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am

Powers should be nerfed. Infamous Tom Bombadil, for example, is a funny, yet overpowered summon, allowing to kill masses of units for only 10 points of power. Devastating powers with a big area of effect (such as the Earthquake) allow to destroy entire enemy bases. I am not saying that I don’t like them, but their overwhelming strenght can take away the fun from playing the game.
"A new power is rising!"