Uruk-hai scouts

Moderator: Solethria

Zagloba

Uruk-hai scouts

Post by Zagloba » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:36 pm

This post is about a new unit for Isengard faction.

Seen in the movies, described in books and led by Lurtz to capture the Fellowship of the Ring - Uruk-hai Scouts. The first Uruks created and armed by Saruman.

Isengard lacks a cheap, basic unit. The Uruk-hai swordsmen are powerful meele beasts, good in both early and late game, but their recruitment costs 300 resources. For comparision, gondor soldiers cost 200 resources. My idea is to add a new unit - the Uruk-hai scouts.

They would work as a medicore multi-purpose unit.
Recruited from: level 1 Uruk Pit
Cost: 120 resources, 30 command points
Health: 120
Available upgrades: Fire Arrows, Standard Bearers
The unit would have the ability to swap weapons (sword/bow) and its ranged attack would have longer range than the crossbowmen unit, but it would be less damaging. Damage dealt by their swords would be respectively lower than normal Uruk-hai’s.

Stare your thoughts in comments.

P.S. I am curious about two things:
1. Is the Team willing to add anything new to the game at this point?
2. Are the RotWK DLC contents, like the Clan Steading and Warg Pack being added?
"A new power is rising!"

Lostir

Re: Uruk-hai scouts

Post by Lostir » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:28 pm

I believe adding the Clan Steading and the Wildmen to Isengard should be enough as an EG unit.

Units with a weapon toggle are always quite strong, so don't think they are such a good idea for an EG unit. In particular as all other ranged units cost a lot more and even the Wildmen Axethrowers from the expansion cost at least twice as much and have a much lower range.

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:28 pm
I believe adding the Clan Steading and the Wildmen to Isengard should be enough as an EG unit.

Units with a weapon toggle are always quite strong, so don't think they are such a good idea for an EG unit. In particular as all other ranged units cost a lot more and even the Wildmen Axethrowers from the expansion cost at least twice as much and have a much lower range.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. What can you propose to make my idea better? Would be higher cost/lower bow damage enough?
"A new power is rising!"

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 pm

I think the swordsmen will look like the scouts without the heavy armor upgrade.
The dunlendings look like the cheap-cannon fodder unit, but I think they specialize in destroying buildings as raiders.
I do not know if the team plans to add rowtk units, personally I only like the warg pack for Isengard.
As for a cheap-cannon fodder unit for isengard, maybe adding isengard orcs ...

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Adding such a scout unit to Isengard would take away from both their and other factions key selling points. Isengard is already strong, but expensive (this is not a negative thing, but an iconic one that shapes playstyle). Factions like Mordor and Goblins can counter this by early spam. Now imagine Isengard being able to go toe to toe with a spam-army of their own as well... This waters down the unique playing styles of factions.
Forum Moderator

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Solethria wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 pm
Adding such a scout unit to Isengard would take away from both their and other factions key selling points. Isengard is already strong, but expensive (this is not a negative thing, but an iconic one that shapes playstyle). Factions like Mordor and Goblins can counter this by early spam. Now imagine Isengard being able to go toe to toe with a spam-army of their own as well... This waters down the unique playing styles of factions.
Ok, I have to agree. What about my questions from the end of the post? Can you answer me?
"A new power is rising!"

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Zagloba wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Ok, I have to agree. What about my questions from the end of the post? Can you answer me?
Sure, the team is adding new additions or replacements to the game (units/heroes/spells/etc.). This will only be done if it fits gameplay and/or the faction or to make certain aspects more lore-friendly.

The same applies to the content in RotWK. The extra content of this expansion can be a good reference point for the team on what to add. Some things might be added, some things not. Whether for example the mini-hero hordes will be added i cannot say. Probably not in their current form if at all.

Angmar from RotWK will be added as the 7th faction.
Forum Moderator

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Solethria wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 pm
Zagloba wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Sure, the team is adding new additions or replacements to the game (units/heroes/spells/etc.). This will only be done if it fits gameplay and/or the faction or to make certain aspects more lore-friendly.

The same applies to the content in RotWK. The extra content of this expansion can be a good reference point for the team on what to add. Some things might be added, some things not. Whether for example the mini-hero hordes will be added i cannot say. Probably not in their current form if at all.

Angmar from RotWK will be added as the 7th faction.
Thanks for your reply. ;) By the way, can you tell me what is the decision of the team regarding the unit colors? What will indicate to which player they belong?
"A new power is rising!"

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am

All i know is that there will be some sort of color indication, not just a interface indication. But what it will be or if there will be multiple options i don't know yet.
Forum Moderator