New game modes

Moderator: Solethria

batyu

New game modes

Post by batyu » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi! I know this is not in line with the competitive vision of the project but I think new game modes would be probably more easy to implement than new art.
I think about:
- king of the hill (the player who hold the outpost at a known time wins)
- towerdefense
- game mode where you have a hero from the start and if it dies, you die
- battleroyal :D 10+ player ffa with automatic matchmaking (thats my dream :D)
-coop scenarios
-gold rush first to reach X k gold wins
I know simple skrimish is the best.

But what are you thoughts on that?

WerewolfMoonHunter

Re: New game modes

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Hmmmmmm. I must say, interesting idea. But I think if they will be added to game they will appear long after makeing main game working

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Some different game modes could be a possibility, but indeed for later on. Towerwars for example would enable a singleplayer experience without the need for a full-fledged AI, because you would only need them to walk a certain path. I can see such a mode happening for those in love with a singleplayer option, since singleplayer skirmish is not happening anytime soon given the workload and challenging aspect.
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm

While all of those modes are fun for sure, I would prefer a normal AI mode first, as all those will take extra time and balancing.
In particular good towerdefenses take a lot of work, time and balancing (I have quite some experience with those), so I would prefer if the work is spent on something else.

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Sat May 18, 2019 2:59 pm

No battle royale, please, no! Why every game must have a battle royale mode? Is it a kind of epidemic? :?
I appreciate your other ideas, but... please. This is an RTS. The bases aren't movable (thus there would be no place for a shrinking map), and the games would be too long with 10+ players battling each other. It would also require some really massive maps for such a large number of participants.
Prove me if I am wrong.
And, lastly, even if such thing would appear in the game, should it be named with this weird name "battle royale"? It would be just a ripped-off element of fortnite's title. :| A better idea is to think up something more unique than this name.
Altough, the rest of game modes you listed are nice ideas, I especially liked king of the hill and the dying hero thing. ;)
"A new power is rising!"

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

There will be no battle royale obviously. Altough it would hardly be a rip-off from fortnite, they are the ones that ripped it off in the first place.

I'm sure what he meant with his 'battle royale' is just a bigger FFA game with higher player count. 99% sure that this will not be happening. Max player count will most likely stay at 8 players.
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

I have played Battle Royal maps in Warcraft 3 and BfME as custom maps long before Fortenite even existed.
In those maps you have a hero and have to battle other heroes in rounds with shrinking map sizes, while you get better abilities during the rounds. So it definetly is possible and makes sense in BfME, but is the same as other special mission maps that it takes a lot of time to create them.