Do we need a copy license form the books?

Moderator: Solethria

Bontorin

Do we need a copy license form the books?

Post by Bontorin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 am

Hi, guys!
Just discovered BFME Reforged and I think the work being done here is awesome!!
I wish I could help, but my skills are not on par with what you need.
But I got some questions that I couldn't find the answer:
The fact of being non-profit means that we don't require a license for the LOTR books? And if it does, how much it costs? Is that a bureaucratic milestone for us to reach?

Thanks for the hard work you guys are doing and I wish the best for this endeavor!!

Lostir

Re: Do we need a copy license form the books?

Post by Lostir » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:16 pm

The fact of being non-profit means that we don't require a license for the LOTR books? And if it does, how much it costs? Is that a bureaucratic milestone for us to reach?
Non-profit doesn't mean that it is legal and for example MERP (a LotR mod for Skyrim) has been shut down by the ones who were holding the LotR rights at that moment. But due to it being non-profit and noone probably doing any LotR real-time strategy game any time soon, likely means that it will be ignored.

If one wanted to get all the licenses, it would require the LotR book and movie licenses, as well as the BfME license. And as the dwarves and goblins will likely include stuff from the Hobbit, some of those licenses as well. And getting all of that would take a couple of millions at least.