Melee weapon upgrades

Help make BFME better, express your opinions

Moderator: Solethria

Poll: Should we remove the weapon upgrades?

Interface will indicate if a horde has weapon upgrades (no glowing effect)
62%
Remove the weapon upgrade option completely
3%
Just make it as it is in BFME
24%
I have my own idea about that! (comments)
11%

Total votes: 63

Syso

Re: Melee weapon upgrades

Post by Syso » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Have u guys ever played the game called "cossacks". If no, then i will tell u how it works here. So the game have a lot of upgrades: economy, army, visibility on map, etc; also in every building that produce units u can upgrade each one by one. And what is the most important? The enemy CANT see ANY of the upgrade that u bought(u can see that only by testing the strength of the enemies units or for exmpl if u upgrade the technology which gives u new unit u of course see it in game) and THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM! :D I dont understand why u have to know if the enemy army is upgraded or not. When u see that opponent have a good economy at that time u should predict that he will probably have his army upgraded soon. So in my opinion the shining shouldnt be attached to any of upgrades. The idea of better looking armor and swords is great. I think that even spells and skills shouldnt be to much colorfull so that it can look epic but elegant and badass. So far reforged team doing perfect work :)
Be noble! Let wicked fear your gaze!

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Syso wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm
Have u guys ever played the game called "cossacks". If no, then i will tell u how it works here. So the game have a lot of upgrades: economy, army, visibility on map, etc; also in every building that produce units u can upgrade each one by one. And what is the most important? The enemy CANT see ANY of the upgrade that u bought(u can see that only by testing the strength of the enemies units or for exmpl if u upgrade the technology which gives u new unit u of course see it in game) and THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM! :D I dont understand why u have to know if the enemy army is upgraded or not. When u see that opponent have a good economy at that time u should predict that he will probably have his army upgraded soon. So in my opinion the shining shouldnt be attached to any of upgrades. The idea of better looking armor and swords is great. I think that even spells and skills shouldnt be to much colorfull so that it can look epic but elegant and badass. So far reforged team doing perfect work :)
I played Cossacks. One of my favorite games. And idea is good, but.... I think that option which was in oryginal BFME was very good too.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I havent played Cossacks, but I just looked in a cossacks wiki. From what I get there, the difference between upgrades in Cossacks and BfME is, that first of all Cossacks upgrades are passive. You research them and then all units for which is the upgrade is aimed get it. So, if an enemy had an upgrade once, he will always have it. BfME upgrades arent passive for all units, but have to be purchased for every single battalion. This way there can be battalions with them and without them, which makes those units extremly different for both players.
Secondly, Cossacks upgrades are a lot smaller. In BfME you get double damage with forged blades, while in cossacks you need all upgrads of the same type to get a similar effect. That way it is even more of a difference if a unit has an upgrade, or not in BfME. And being able to target the unit that deals more damage is really important in a battle.

PusTula

Post by PusTula » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Lostir has a point. Agreed!

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 pm

PusTula wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am
I think it's better to not make glowing weapons, but a visual difference, even if not a big one would be great, beside the sign in the interface.
But glowing effect in oryginal game was so good. For me it is one of the most important elements of the game

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am

WerewolfMoonHunter wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 pm
But glowing effect in oryginal game was so good. For me it is one of the most important elements of the game
There have been some suggestions (from me also) that replace the glowing lightsaber-like effect with the effect of the sun shimmering on the blades, like it's some other material. I think this would look awesome, realistic and still be quickly recognizable as an upgrade. I wouldn't mind keeping the system as it was either, but just a cool alternative if we really want to go a more realistic route.
Forum Moderator

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 am

Solethria wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am
WerewolfMoonHunter wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 pm
There have been some suggestions (from me also) that replace the glowing lightsaber-like effect with the effect of the sun shimmering on the blades, like it's some other material. I think this would look awesome, realistic and still be quickly recognizable as an upgrade. I wouldn't mind keeping the system as it was either, but just a cool alternative if we really want to go a more realistic route.
Hmmm Hard to not agree here.....

Uruk&Balls

Post by Uruk&Balls » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 pm

i agree with them. There shouldn't be the shining effect. But changing of weapon appereances may be pretty good.

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 am

I hate glowing weapons so much that I dont upgrade my troops for that. not only weapons but also armor.
Although the upgrades of the units should be notorious, I will take several ideas from this forum for each faction, not only weapons but also armor.
Evil forces must start with dented, rusted weapons and "grab what you can". Once the troops receive better weapons they must show a more refined and uniform equipment. Maybe a subtle red sheen of freshly forged. Their initial armor should also be "grab what you can": leather and scrap. Improved troops should have more uniform equipment and full armor.
Elves and dwarves must have refined equipment from the beginning as the best blacksmiths of the middle earth, better weapons and armor should show a "magical" but subtle shine.
Men should have decent weapons from the start and maybe get Numenorian equipment when they get upgraded. Rohirrim should get scale armor like the royal guard.
I think the most noticeable change in improving the armor should be the shields. I disagree with the shield as individual upgrade and rather integrate them completely in the "heavy armor" upgrade. The troops without shield that get upgraded should get one (rohirrim, orcs, easterling, elves) and the troops with one should have a better one (gondorian, dwarves)

theol

Post by theol » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:27 pm

personally I like the glowing weapons in bfme2 although not realistic based on the books