Melee weapon upgrades

Help make BFME better, express your opinions

Moderator: Solethria

Poll: Should we remove the weapon upgrades?

Interface will indicate if a horde has weapon upgrades (no glowing effect)
69%
Remove the weapon upgrade option completely
3%
Just make it as it is in BFME
13%
I have my own idea about that! (comments)
15%

Total votes: 39

Maroni
Site Admin

Melee weapon upgrades

Post by Maroni » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 pm

We know that the glowing blades is a thing from Star Wars, it's not something from The Lord of the Rings. The only cases when the weapon was actually glowing were the Witch-King's bewitched sword, Aragorn's blade under the influence of Gandalf, some elven blades may emit blue glowing, but glowing weapons in possession of common men or orcs is strange and too much.

Share your opinions using the poll above!

Silinef

Re: Melee weapon upgrades

Post by Silinef » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:57 pm

I agree that we should remove glowing effect of new weapon. But i think we should mark the change from worst to better weapon. For egzample firstly hord/batalion has straight, thin swords, after upgreades they get more solid, dangerous weapon. Orks gets clubs with spikes, axes etc. Batolion of knights for egzample gets longer and whiter swords what should mean that swords are better made. So i gonna ask you thinking in this way. I belive you will find the solution of this problem.

Smeagol

Post by Smeagol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 am

I actually think Silinef's idea is pretty cool; if gondor soldiers started out with dull-brown iron swords but then when upgraded they turn to a shiny silver colour (say steel), Elves could go from a silver to gold colour, Uruk-hai could go from a muddy brown to a shiny black sword, etc, so while they wouldn't glow you could use colour changes to indicate their improvements

Silinef

Post by Silinef » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:22 pm

"if gondor soldiers started out with dull-brown iron swords but then when upgraded they turn to a shiny silver colour (say steel), Elves could go from a silver to gold colour, Uruk-hai could go from a muddy brown to a shiny black sword, etc"

Exactly like you said. We can analayze how weapon from different material looks like. Elves and Dwarves used to forge swords, axes from precious raw materials.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

These ideas got me to realize, why not choose in between? Don't pick the intense BFME2 glow but pick a shiny shimmering (like the sun bouncing of the weapon) and maybe change of color for the weapon. That would be awesome indeed!

Me personally I don't like just an interface indication. We didn't step up to this cool looking engine for no reason ^^
Forum Moderator

MrGreen

Post by MrGreen » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 pm

I would like to see swords with dents and rust when they are not upgraded. This could work for men, orcs, isengard and mordor. Elves and dwarfs are very great forging factions, so they have better looking weapons right from the beginning. And I really like the idea of golden weapons as upgrades for elves.

Second_breakfast

Post by Second_breakfast » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:32 pm

I also believe that some textures we're very weird to have in the game for example the wild men of Isengard would just get gold armor which made no sense.

Honestly the best part of the glowing weapons in the bfme2 games was just a quick and simple fact you knew they were upgraded if you have multiple units on the field and multiple battles going on, not having a quick indicator knowing your units are upgraded if you planned on upgrading them could be a great pain.

I believe the game still needs to have that quickway of delivering that information to the player but also not make it such an eyesore while playing.

Either make multiple sets of armors for the different unit types and have them come out with a different looking "light armor" comparing to when they're upgraded to "heavy armor".

It also would be great if we could combine some buildings such as The barracks and the forge and get them to a certain level like level 3 or maybe make a level 4 for buildings,

and say if we did combined those two buildings got them to the max level of that buildings potential, whatever unit you made would come out at a slightly cheaper price rather than buying all the upgrades after you made them. They would come out with full armor upgraded forged blades and with banner carriers.

The buildings could also have unique abilities once they reach their max level, such as like the Fortress upgrades of burning oil or maybe like the Mordor Fortress statues the cause fear to any units near them making them flee.

1000_Muxaxos

Post by 1000_Muxaxos » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Easy. Give crappy looking weapons when they are created, then with the upgrade they got better looking weapons. For e.g, gondorian unit with rusty swords, then with the upgrade they would be a little bit bigger maybe and not rusty at all, in fact being very shiny and clean, and the handle being also worked to give a better detail to the weapon. And it could also influence their shields. Like, being at the beginning wooden, badly made, shields and with the upgrade could be steel shields....i dunno what materials can be used to make a shield xD but you got the point.

extra idea: there could be an upgrade that would make every unit you created to already have the upgrade (when created, units without the upgrade have to buy the upgrade) but it would require for you to buy the "upgrade melee" on the armory first and then you could buy this new upgrade. BUT it would be expensive as hell. the regular upgrade is 1500 and this new could be 3500 so it would be 5000 in total

Floris

Post by Floris » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Hmmm.. Perhaps the interface notification and a visual upgrade from rusty swords to refined ones for example.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

PusTula

Post by PusTula » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am

I think it's better to not make glowing weapons, but a visual difference, even if not a big one would be great, beside the sign in the interface.
Last edited by PusTula on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.