FAQ + Roadmap

Contains all available information about the game’s progress

Moderator: Solethria

Solethria

FAQ + Roadmap

Post by Solethria » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

Last updated: 21-10-2019

Welcome, it seems fate brought u here. The right moon shines on us tonight, questions will be answered.

Are you more of a listener? Like to visualize things? You can always watch our Q&A videos.

Roadmap: (We can't go into much detail)
Roadmap_Alligned.png

Lets first get the most frequent of frequently asked questions out of the way:

Is there a release date? When can we expect a beta?
We do not have a release or beta date as of yet. Reforged is a non-commercial fan project which means deadlines and schedules make place for passion and ambition (when time is free). The goal (not deadline!) for the closed beta tests is spring 2020, which will be purely technical (a real closed beta, as it is meant to be). This build will be buggy and not very enjoyable to common people. From these tests we will fix bugs, balance the game etc. Because of that, the closed beta testing will be limited to certain team members. After this phase we will start the open beta. By then we will have given you more info.

Do i need to sign up for the (open) beta?
Currently there is no information about the open beta, which means also no information about potential sign-ups. There will be an open beta in the future that is available to everyone.

Can i get early access to a (closed) beta by donating? Are there any other rewards if i donate?
BFME: Reforged is a non-commercial project, that's why we won't and can't "sell" anything (even art) for funds that we are given voluntary, we are common fans, who want our beloved game to come back to life. And that's why those, who donate, have a direct influence on the development speed, making its release closer, cheering us up. But the game will be available to everyone, because a non-commercial project can't sell anything. It's all voluntary. So no, there are no rewards associated with a donation (unless you count a better game as a reward, of course ^^)

How about copyright?
BFME: Reforged is a non-commercial fan project. Meaning the game and everything about the game will be free for everyone. The BFME franchise is commercially dead (unfortunately). Yes, it is a copyright mess. So far it’s fine. This project does not interfere with any business models of the respective owners nor does it intent to do so. It's the 'glorified mod', the remake, we all want and need! All rights belong to their respective owners. As fans we encourage you to support their ventures!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Question List
  1. Are there going to be separate factions?
  2. Why is Isengard the first faction to be completed?
  3. How large is the team?
  4. Do you guys have/need testers?
  5. Do you guys need help with development?
  6. Are the original BFME voice lines used?
  7. What kind of music will the game use?
  8. Will there be new and better models and animations of landscapes, objects and characters?
  9. Will we see iconic places like Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul or Erebor?
  10. Will there be a war of the ring mode?
  11. Will the game have new mechanics?
  12. Will the game be based on the films or the books when introducing new elements?
  13. Will there be new maps?
  14. Will it be hard to run this game? What specifications do I need?
  15. Is there going to be any content from The Hobbit?
  16. Will there be small armies like bfme1 or big armies like bfme2?
  17. What about skirmished singeplayer?
  18. Will there be new units?
  19. Will the game be released with complete content or in patches?
  20. How much work is already done?
  21. Will there be online rankings?
  22. How do we play online? Will you use Gameranger?
  23. Will the control system be different? Can we customize hotkeys?
  24. Will there be a Worldbuilder?
  25. Will there be modding?
  26. Will there be localization? Can I choose my language?
  27. Will the spell book structure remain the same?
  28. How will unit upgrades work?
  29. How will you balance the game?
  30. Will the game be open source?
  31. Will there be CAH (Create a Hero). Can we make a custom hero?
  32. Will there be a campaign?
  33. Why have we not seen gameplay yet? When are you going to show gameplay?
  34. Will the game also be for console or for pc only?
  35. What is your current plan of action?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Answers
  1. Are there going to be separate factions?
    The first goal is to recreate the original six factions from BFME 2, after that we will add Angmar. This is already a very ambitious task, which is why the team can't speculate beyond that. Currently there are no plans to split factions.
    - - - - - -
  2. Why is Isengard the first faction to be completed?
    Isengard was not chosen randomly, this faction, perhaps, is the most apparent, having a clear spellbook (with the exception of some spells) and obvious unit and heroes roster.
    - - - - - -
  3. How large is the team?
    The team of involved people is around 30. Their involvement varies.
    - - - - - -
  4. Do you guys have/need testers?
    Yes, the team has testers. We do also work together with pros of BFME1 and BFME2 to make sure the balance will be right. So far, we do not need any further testers.
    - - - - - -
  5. Do you guys need help with development?
    The team is always open for new developers. For more information see 'Assembling a Team'. You can always send an e-mail or make a thread in the ‘Assembling a Team’ section of the forum to be contacted by a member of the team. You can also ask us on Discord where we are very active. You can also apply for voice acting here. Involvement is voluntary.
    - - - - - -
  6. Are the original BFME voice lines used?
    Mostly yes, the original BFME voice lines will be used. We aim to not add repetitive voice lines with quotes from the movies. Your ears are safe. Rather, we are looking for voice actors to help out with missing voices.
    - - - - - -
  7. What kind of music will the game use?
    BFME: Reforged is lucky to have gifted composers who will help to breathe life into the game and add new musical themes for each faction and respective situations like engaging in a battle or retreat. You can hear one in this video. It's based on the soundtrack of Howard Shore. Soundtracks from the bfme games will also be present.
    - - - - - -
  8. Will there be new and better models and animations of landscapes, objects and characters?
    The BFME games use a very old engine, while unreal engine 4 possesses new technological advantages. We are doing our best to use those advantages to create new landscapes, objects and animations. This means spending a great deal of time and effort on reworking or reconstructing things.
    - - - - - -
  9. Will we see iconic places like Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul or Erebor?
    That would be cool and we wish to do that, however we can’t promise such complex things right now.
    - - - - - -
  10. Will there be a war of the ring mode?
    We love to make a new and extended map of Middle Earth and add new missions, but at the moment we are focused on creating the classic multiplayer first. War of the ring is not part of the initial roadmap.
    - - - - - -
  11. Will the game have new mechanics?
    Yes, the new engine will certainly influence the mechanics. Hopefully only good ones, like quicker unit reactions when given orders, realistic unit collision (units collide and interact with each other and their surroundings) and realistic physics (units not stacking with others and etc).
    - - - - - -
  12. Will the game be based on the films or the books when introducing new elements?
    We love both the films and the books. The BFME games are an adaption of the books, just like the films. That’s why we will seek a compromise between the two and make sure new additions have a place in the game.
    - - - - - -
  13. Will there be new maps?
    Yes, there will be old classics and new (soon to be classic :D) maps added.
    - - - - - -
  14. Will it be hard to run this game? What specifications do I need?
    It’s very hard to give an indication for this. At first during the beta tests, requirements will be relatively high. The goal in the end is to optimize the game for even weaker computers provided they use low or medium settings.
    - - - - - -
  15. Is there going to be any content from The Hobbit?
    Certainly, we will adapt certain parts of the game according to the new imagery from the movies.
    - - - - - -
  16. Will there be small armies like bfme1 or big armies like bfme2?
    The armies will be big like bfme2, but the hordes will be small like in bfme1. This is because we want to make realistic unit collision.
    - - - - - -
  17. What about skirmished singeplayer?
    The classic multiplayer is our first and most important goal, then the campaign and then the singeplayer. A singeplayer is very hard for us to realize and most of the work we’re doing for multiplayer is also necessary for singeplayer. We accepted a programmer whose main interest is to develop the singeplayer AI, let’s see what he can do.
    - - - - - -
  18. Will there be new units?
    Yes, there will be new units (also along the way). These will be added with extreme precision and must have a place in the game.
    - - - - - -
  19. Will the game be released with complete content or in patches?
    The game will be released in patches which will add factions, maps, updates etc.
    - - - - - -
  20. How much work is already done?
    This question cannot be answered. It’s a fan project which is built on enthusiasm. We can't put a number or term on such things.
    - - - - - -
  21. Will there be online rankings?
    We aim to add an automatic search system. Each player will have their own rank.
    - - - - - -
  22. How do we play online? Will you use Gameranger?
    We aim to use dedicated servers for playing online. Currently we can't afford purchasing one. That's why, when the beta is out, we are going to rent a server in Europe for 1-2 months. After that we'll attempt to make a permanently working server on our own.
    - - - - - -
  23. Will the control system be different? Can we customize hotkeys?
    Of course, it only adds to the experience so we see no reason not to do any of this.
    - - - - - -
  24. Will there be a Worldbuilder?
    We haven’t put much thought into this yet so we don’t want to promise or talk about anything that we might not eventually create. Given the map making process for Reforged this is unlikely to happen.
    - - - - - -
  25. Will there be modding?
    Mods would mean the fragmentation of the game. This weakens the community and we want it to be big, strong and unified so it will be possible to find games at any time. Because of this reason, we will not add mod support initially. Mod support might be added once the game is complete (so this is talk for the future). But it might be that they will have to be approved. Remember also that modding won't be anything like on the BFME games. The skill level will need to be high. There are more reasons for this decision that we won't go into detail about, just know this was a well thought out decision!
    - - - - -
  26. Will there be localization? Can I choose my language?
    Yes, in the future we will have more language options like German, Spanish, Italian, French and Russian. For now, everything will be in English. You can apply to be a future translator here.
    - - - - - -
  27. Will the spell book structure remain the same?
    We are reluctant to deviate from the original BFME2 spellbook. However, no spell will have a copy of itself in different factions. We will add custom spells to replace certain others. Here is the spellbook from Isengard.
    - - - - - -
  28. How will unit upgrades work?
    The upgrade system will most likely be changed to a more realistic one. Units will leave the barracks in lighter armor (chainmail or leather). Once upgraded, helmets and armor plates will appear. For more information and opinions see:
    Armor -> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46
    Weapons -> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68
    - - - - - -
  29. How will you balance the game?
    We are in touch with some of the best players of BFME1 and BFME2. With their help we want to make new and balanced maps. Balance changes will come in patches.
    - - - - - -
  30. Will the game be open source?
    No, the game will not be open source. Partially for the same reasons as mentioned by the answer for mod support.
    - - - - - -
  31. Will there be CAH (Create a Hero). Can we make a custom hero?
    Possibly, but CAH is currently low on the list of priorities like core functionalities and multiplayer assets (factions, maps etc.).
    - - - - - -
  32. Will there be a campaign?
    Yes. The entire campaign is planned to be composed of chronological events, a couple of missions per each faction with the map of Middle-earth as your way of selecting the next mission. While multiplayer will be more like bfme2, we love the style bfme1 had for its campaign. That is why the campaign will be bfme1 style. The story will be unique!
    - - - - - -
  33. Why have we not seen gameplay yet? When are you going to show gameplay?
    We know all of you are most of all anticipating a gameplay showcase. With such anticipation comes high expectations, which is why the team will wait to show gameplay for when we feel confident enough that it will live up to the hype. Just know there is already a pre-alpha build in which gameplay assets are testable.
    - - - - - -
  34. Will the game also be for console or for pc only?
    The game will be for pc only.
    - - - - - -
  35. What is your current plan of action?
    The team of BFME: Reforged made a document for the team members talking about our current global plan. We have decided to share this Doc with the world. You can read it here. Remember that it was written towards the team members, no further details referenced in this Doc are planned to be made public for now (like the precise list of closed beta tasks mentioned in the end).

Reforged Team Image Out
Forum Moderator

WerewolfMoonHunter

Re: The Ultimate FAQ Thread

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 am

I wanted add one question here becouse I didn't see it. What about ring heros? I mean they will be like in Edain Mod or like at oryginal game?

MerveSevil

Post by MerveSevil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm

What about the castle? Will there be castle? BFME II absence is a major shortcoming :(

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:34 pm

WerewolfMoonHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 am
I wanted add one question here becouse I didn't see it. What about ring heros? I mean they will be like in Edain Mod or like at oryginal game?
The team hasn't revealed that yet so I can't answer that at this moment, once there is more news I will update the thread!
Forum Moderator

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Solethria wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:34 pm
WerewolfMoonHunter wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:44 am
The team hasn't revealed that yet so I can't answer that at this moment, once there is more news I will update the thread!

Okay. Thanks for infromation ;)

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm

MerveSevil wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm
What about the castle? Will there be castle? BFME II absence is a major shortcoming :(
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. What do you mean by castle? Like a fort map as Minas Tirith or something? Castle like how BFME1 works?
Forum Moderator

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Updated the thread with the latest closed beta news. More info here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165
Forum Moderator

echo

Post by echo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:06 pm

So, in this FAQ it says that there are no "perks" for donating money to the BFME: Reforged team. I like this very much, as I donated some and hadn't created my account at the time, and was afraid that I missed out on something.
I truly do enjoy that this project is staying true to being a open and friendly fan project, for people just like me who are fans. Anyway, just wanted to ask why this was posted up by BfmeReforged (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45):
"We are grateful to all those who supported the project by donating. Please, don't forget to put your email in the comment while doing it, so we could invite you to a beta-test, when the time comes!"

Does this mean that they want to personally invite us to the open beta-test where every one can come, or that we can go into one of the closed beta-tests because we donated? Just hoping someone from the BFME: Reforged team can help be understand this comment.

Sincerely,
Echo

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:46 pm

echo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:06 pm
Does this mean that they want to personally invite us to the open beta-test where every one can come, or that we can go into one of the closed beta-tests because we donated? Just hoping someone from the BFME: Reforged team can help be understand this comment.

Sincerely,
Echo
Yes, it means that when the time comes for everyone to take part in the open beta, you will be updated (if you want to) so that you won't miss out on something you clearly don't want to miss out on (as a donator).
Forum Moderator

echo

Post by echo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Ah, okay, thanks Solethria and BfmeReforged for clearing that up for me :D

- Echo
Last edited by echo on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.