NEW HUD?

Moderator: Solethria

MysticGorilla

NEW HUD?

Post by MysticGorilla » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:18 am

I was wondering if the game menus, maps and generally all the HUD would be changed from the old game? I saw the gameplay and the HUD is exactly the same as the original with a few color changes. I was thinking it would be appropriate for a remade game to feature brand new,moderd HUD and not the old one.

mChiron

Re: NEW HUD?

Post by mChiron » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:38 pm

I think the old HUD is part of the "original" BFME expirience. Although i also think, that some of the nowadays considered standard HUD features in RTS-games would greatly improve the playability of the game. Especially looking at the competitive side of gameplay. But these features would have to blend into the existing HUD.

One thing i would greatly suggest, is a way of displaying some crucial data of selected battalions/units. Such as health and troop strenght (meaning how many troops are remaining in one battalion). As is, I find it very hard to distinguish battalions of the same unit type from each ohter. This makes it very hard to manage your units properly in the heat of battle.

An example could maybe look somthing like this:
HUD sample.PNG
The design is inspirited by the HUD display of heros and the builders. Therefore it disappears when no units are selected, not blocking the view. You could also select a battalion via HUD icon.
HUD discription.PNG
In case there are to many units selected, to be displayed simultaneously on screen, one could implement multiple pages (see Starcraft II).

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:27 am

I agree on more information being visible, but dislike the particular idea.

It might work with just so few hordes, but with Mordor which can have tons of hordes and each with 20 units per hordes you will just get far too many information.

Instead when you selected multiple units, you should only get the horde types displayed with extra information.

The icon of the horde in the middle.
On top of it the number of those hordes.
Left to it the health bar of the lowest health horde of that type (the healthes of the units in it are aggregated together).
Right to it the health bar of the highest health horde of that type (health aggregation again).
When clicking on the icon you will select all hordes of that type which can be useful for giving upgrades.
When selecting on a health bar to the left or right of the icon, you will select the respective battalion.

Above of the icon next to the number of the hordes there should be an expand error which can show you the detailed hordes:
Still an aggregated health for the horde, because the exact number of the units isn't that useful most of the time.
The level as shown above.
Miniature images for the upgrades the unit has.
A symbol for the formation the unit is currently in. Or the current task (like guarding, patrolling, offensive stance, holding ground, etc)

mChiron

Post by mChiron » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Left to it the health bar of the lowest health horde of that type (the healthes of the units in it are aggregated together).
Right to it the health bar of the highest health horde of that type (health aggregation again).
When clicking on the icon you will select all hordes of that type which can be useful for giving upgrades.
When selecting on a health bar to the left or right of the icon, you will select the respective battalion.

Above of the icon next to the number of the hordes there should be an expand error which can show you the detailed hordes:
Still an aggregated health for the horde, because the exact number of the units isn't that useful most of the time.
A symbol for the formation the unit is currently in. Or the current task (like guarding, patrolling, offensive stance, holding ground, etc)
I really like those ideas. I reworked the sample accordingly.
HUD 2.0 sample.PNG
The icons for the upgrade display are missing, but could be added easily.
The aggregated health bars of the general horde icons are made bigger, so it's easier to klick them.

I figured, that an expand arrow to display the individual hordes could be unnecessary. Klicking the number of hordes would make for a more neat and tidy HUD. A combination of both might be best though.

MrGreen

Post by MrGreen » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:01 am

Wow, I must say that I am really impressed. Through this, information is very accessible.
Thank you for visualising it.
Maybe more order could be added as the various hordes are sorted by life, upgrades or level.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:20 pm

mChiron wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:54 pm

I really like those ideas. I reworked the sample accordingly.
HUD 2.0 sample.PNG
The icons for the upgrade display are missing, but could be added easily.
The aggregated health bars of the general horde icons are made bigger, so it's easier to klick them.

I figured, that an expand arrow to display the individual hordes could be unnecessary. Klicking the number of hordes would make for a more neat and tidy HUD. A combination of both might be best though.
Wow, thanks for visualizing it. You did a really good job. And I agree that an extra expand arrow would be unnecessary as long as it is made clear somewhere that clicking on the horde number expands it.

The only thing that I'm thinking about now is, if it would make sense to view those unit types in the same bar as all the heroes or not.
The number of heroes can get up to 7 for Men, which doesn't leave much space. And mixing both displays could be hard to see.
But at the other hand, it would avoid an extra row above the hero row, so you would have only 2 rows if you have the detailed view.
And if the HUD is adjusted to widescreen like the Edain widescreen HUD in your example, heroes and unit types should easily fit into a single row.
MrGreen wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:01 am
Wow, I must say that I am really impressed. Through this, information is very accessible.
Thank you for visualising it.
Maybe more order could be added as the various hordes are sorted by life, upgrades or level.
I'm not too sure if that is a always a good idea, because when the health stats change rapidly during a fight it gets really hard to track which unit is which.

MrGreen

Post by MrGreen » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Lostir wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:20 pm
I'm not too sure if that is a always a good idea, because when the health stats change rapidly during a fight it gets really hard to track which unit is which.
Okay, then the sorting could only be done when clicking on the hord type, but other stats keep updating.

mChiron

Post by mChiron » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:43 pm

The only thing that I'm thinking about now is, if it would make sense to view those unit types in the same bar as all the heroes or not.
I pondered the same question and came to the conclusion, that having two rows to begin with would be the better idea.
The number of selected unit typs can rise up to really high values as well. A page system could compensate for that, without having to shrink the icons.

Furthermore, while the HUD display of the heros is permanent, the display of unit types would only be visible when there are units selected, not to mention the detailed information panel. Occasions like in the sample, where the HUD is fully expanded and blocking the screen, would propebly only occur rarely and when the player sees fit.

Moreover, i think the HUD should be disigned in such a way, that it can be controlled thru hotkeys. Although i'm not sure to what extend this would be possible.