Weather Settings

Moderator: Solethria

Tycho

Weather Settings

Post by Tycho » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 am

I apologize in advance if this was already a setting in BFME 1/2 (haven’t played for a while). But in case it isn’t a setting....

What do people think of making a weather setting so we can decide what type of weather we fight in?
For example:
Rain setting so we can recreate helms deep fights
Or snow weather so we can recreate snowy area’s🤷🏼‍♂️

Ofcourse it will be some sort off rip off seeing as “Rome Total War” actually has weather settings. But I think it would look INCREDIBLE if you can have uruks running around at night with torches while it rains... or through some snow pass while holding torches.

Yet again sorry if this was already a setting and I completely forgot, but I just can’t remember any of these settings from last time I played

WerewolfMoonHunter

Re: Weather Settings

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Well... interesting idea

Kimarous

Post by Kimarous » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 am

Tycho wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 am
I apologize in advance if this was already a setting in BFME 1/2 (haven’t played for a while). But in case it isn’t a setting....

What do people think of making a weather setting so we can decide what type of weather we fight in?
For example:
Rain setting so we can recreate helms deep fights

Yet again sorry if this was already a setting and I completely forgot, but I just can’t remember any of these settings from last time I played
"Freezing Rain" (read: the rain from the Helm's Deep battle) is a spell used by Evil factions in the original game - and in this mod, specifically by Isengard.

Tycho

Post by Tycho » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:07 am

Ah yeah, but I think it would be great if you’re playing a game it can start raining or sunshine can break through.

A bit more realistic effects then just a spell that makes it rain for x amount of time. Or always have the same weather pattern

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:31 am

I think those shouldn't be general settings for the player to decide, but could be dependent on a map. Thus it works well with the other environment of a map. A map taking place in the mountains could be really stormy and snowy. Some maps could be at night, or at dusk. And of cousre at Helms Deep it could rain.

But as long as the map number is limited, such a feature would be nice to generate the effects for the few maps that are there, even if the effects aren't 100% fitting.

Tycho

Post by Tycho » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:21 am

Yeah:) It was just a idea.

Indeed way better to have the map make its own weather so you have a Chance of rain in helms deep. And a Chance of snow or storm in the mountains... Or even make it so that there is a Chance of fighting at dawn (sunrise) or night.

I think it can make for some really cool effects. Imagen rolling a map and being like “oh hey cool its night” or “hey cool its dawn”. Gives some extra juicyness to the maps

mChiron

Post by mChiron » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:25 pm

I think weather in games is always a double edged sword.
On one hand it can look really cool, but on the other hand it can impede the visibility of whats happening.
To evoid this the weather effects would have to be more settle. And that begs the question if it's still worth the effort then. :?:

Kumquatwhat

Post by Kumquatwhat » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:18 pm

mChiron wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:25 pm
On one hand it can look really cool, but on the other hand it can impede the visibility of whats happening.
To evoid this the weather effects would have to be more settle. And that begs the question if it's still worth the effort then. :?:
I had the opposite thought, it might be really cool to give it a more enhanced effect. Dynamic weather in the map having different effects on different units, like rain making all slower but especially cavalry, and all units have less visibility. In darkness or bright light, archers have less range. If it's hot, more heavily armored units are slower as they tire much faster. Etc.

I don't think this would be necessarily good for a first pass at creation, since there's so much other stuff to take care of, and maybe it's not worth the time if there aren't enough good ideas for each weather type to merit the system. But it's where my mind jumped to.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:11 am

Kumquatwhat wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:18 pm
mChiron wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:25 pm
I had the opposite thought, it might be really cool to give it a more enhanced effect. Dynamic weather in the map having different effects on different units, like rain making all slower but especially cavalry, and all units have less visibility. In darkness or bright light, archers have less range. If it's hot, more heavily armored units are slower as they tire much faster. Etc.

I don't think this would be necessarily good for a first pass at creation, since there's so much other stuff to take care of, and maybe it's not worth the time if there aren't enough good ideas for each weather type to merit the system. But it's where my mind jumped to.
I don't think this heavy interactive weather is good for the standard skirmish, because it would be too different from the BfME we know, but it would be create as a different game mode, or on special maps and could be really cool, because you have to adjust your plans to the weather.
But yes, it would have to wait until a later release.