Destructible Environment in BFME: Reforged

Moderator: Solethria

KyleBarlow93

Destructible Environment in BFME: Reforged

Post by KyleBarlow93 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:34 am

Hola amigos, I’m sure many of us passionate BFME fans want this game to be equal to—if not a huge improvement on—the previous two BFME games; however, the creators of BFME: Reforged will ultimately need to see/hear what the people want.

In BFME: Reforged, would you like the idea of when buildings and walls are heavily damaged or destroyed, that they effect the environment around them? By this I mean if you were to destroy city gates, the soldiers directly behind them could be knocked down, badly injured or even killed. With walls, if they are brought down, perhaps there should be a considerable amount of rubble which units would take longer to traverse etc - it wouldn’t be good if units casually strolled through the gap in the wall without any change.

Also, with forest areas, perhaps they should be a useful tool, by this I mean to set ablaze and divert enemy units from travelling through, or trapping units and ultimately burning them to death etc

With dead soldiers, I think each unit should leave dead soldiers on the battlefield without them disappearing. Not the whole unit, as that would be a lot of stress for the game, but just several dead bodies would help make the game more immersive.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Lostir

Re: Destructible Environment in BFME: Reforged

Post by Lostir » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:33 am

I honestly don't know.

It could be a great idea, but it could also be horrible ingame or just not like BfME at all.

And concerning, woods, streams or other terrain I really wonder how much those will affect passing through in Reforged. AS those will be a lot more detailed and realistic than in BfME.

mChiron

Re: Destructible Environment in BFME: Reforged

Post by mChiron » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:01 pm

I guess, that destructive environment could really add to the visual appearance of the game. But i also think, that this should mostly be limited to visual effects, like it's done in most other RTS games.

A way to minimize the computaional load could be to utalize baked animations for collapsing environment, like they did in Age of Empires.