In-Game Music!

Moderator: Solethria

Floris

In-Game Music!

Post by Floris » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:07 pm

I've personally always loved the music of Howard Shore and the custom music added to the BFME games. Specially how they tended to be rather dynamic as in which faction you play and if you are winning or losing.

Now I'll assume you'll be using the vanilla music from the get go.. But I wonder if the team has thought of adding more tracks from the trilogy and even The Hobbit (Perhaps even original music).

Say what you will about the Hobbit but the soundtrack is still superb.

Because honestly if I were attacking the enemy base with my dwarven army fully armed and filthy and this theme would kick in.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usP1VFtZvQM

Needless to say I'd be pretty hyped.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

stormbringer

Re: In-Game Music!

Post by stormbringer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:36 am

I really hope the add some music from The Hobbit, I agree it is fantastic.
Also, I hope the add content from the The Hobbit movies: units, heroes, art, etc.

echo

Post by echo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 am

I do agree that one of the big strong points of BFME and BFME 2 was its graphics (for the day) and its awesome music, the music never seemed to get old! Since BFME: Reforged has amazing graphics, I think it would be super sad if they had only okay music... It might be tricky to get good music and make it blend in with the game, but I think that it is one of the things that we all loved about the old BFME's, so it only seems right to have it in the Reforged version.

Really hoping that the development team can/will make this a priority in your sea of things to do in the reforging of BFME.

Sincerely,
Echo

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 am

I honestly doubt that there will be original music, as music is one of the first things were copyright problems arise. There have already been reforged projects for other games that were shutdown only because they used the original ingame voices.

Nonetheless, it should be possible to create similar music. I know that Edain has componists who have created different tracks for them.

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:57 pm

I must say that I don't know what will be with music from movies in game. I mean I really love the idea and I prefer to play with music from movie but.... Tolkien Estaite is very... jealous about copyrights and trying to use music from movie can bring all of us many problems.
In secound way: guys from Edain Mod were able to put musick from movies into game so maybe we will have it here too.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 pm

All i can add to this discussion at this moment is that it is confirmed the voice lines from the BFME games will be used. I don't think the same has been said about music so that remains to be seen.
Forum Moderator

MrGreen

Post by MrGreen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:14 am

I remember the times when I played bfme2 a lot. It was not only the great game itself but also the music that reminded me of the lotr atmosphere. Having the soundtrack from the movies was great. But Edain was "just" a mod so it is no surprise that there were no problems with using the music. I think it is a hard task to have in-game music that captivates and allows you to immerse yourself in the atmosphere, like the Old Games.

Enorue

Post by Enorue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Third Age Total War uses some custom tracks, for example. There is plenty of free copyright music in the net that can be added. Moreover you can meet a lot of very talented artists that develop independent music, they could be contacted for the project. We have tons of possibilities!

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 pm

MrGreen wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:14 am
Having the soundtrack from the movies was great. But Edain was "just" a mod so it is no surprise that there were no problems with using the music.
Exactly this. Edain being a mod for a game with some movie rights makes it a lot more controversial and grey to use music from the Hobbit movies for them, even if it probably isnt alright either. The same with the contents behind the movies and the books. Edain also avoids adding first age stuff as much as possible because that can be problematic too, because those arent covered in the rights the games had. For example the Rivendell Sages were concepted as priests/followers of some of the Valar, which was removed before publishing them, because it was too risky.

Adding music from movies without any rights is a lot more dangerous and could not only harm this project but might even cause all already existing mods to get problems too.

Syso

Post by Syso » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

For me the soundtrack from bfme 2 was perfect and i wouldnt change any piece of it. Possibly the main menu and skirmish menu music can be different.
Be noble! Let wicked fear your gaze!