Factions

Moderator: Solethria

Solethria

Re: Factions

Post by Solethria » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:01 am

Felinosa wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am
I would separate the men in Rohan and Gondor as the first delivery, basic, easy and effective.

And Isengard need more heroes, the super uruk-hai and Saruman ye, but need Grima maybe
Currently for the first roadmap the standard bfme2 factions and Angmar from rotwk are planned. Isengard will get Ugluk as an additional hero :)
Forum Moderator

Leloux

Post by Leloux » Fri May 10, 2019 1:26 pm

I think we dont need loads of factions, it will be verrry hard to balance, and also I assume many people dont want our beloved RTS game to turn into a visual sh*t show by this way.

Just stick to four factions for good and bad side. Seperating MotW to Rohan and Gondor, adding Angmar like RotW will be enough in terms of diversity. People who want more can do it by creating mods for the game once it is realesed.

Jushan105

Post by Jushan105 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 am

Will there be any incorporation of the Northern Dunedain or Arnor as a faction? They are my personal favorites from a lore perspective, and I was wondering if they could be considered for an update down the line! A personal idealistic list of factions would probably look like this from my POV. They are listed in personal importance to create within each faction.

Men
  • Gondor
  • Rohan
  • Arnor
  • Dale
Elves
  • High Elves (Imladris/Mithlond)
  • Lothlorien + Mirkwood
Dwarves
  • Erebor
  • Khazad Dum
  • Ered Luin (Blue Mountains)
  • Orocarni
Orcs
  • Mordor
  • Isenguard
  • Moria
  • Gundabad
  • Goblintown

Evil Men

• Rhun (Easterlings)
  • Harad
  • Umbar
  • Dunland

I have a decent understanding to how IMMENSE your workload is. And I am a huge fan of the project you guys have put yourselves up to. I am super hyped, even if you release only Isenguard, I would play the heck out of it. But I cant help but think more about the project, and start getting all Idealistic :D Best of luck!

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Thu May 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Would there be any scenario and possibility for skirmish games to play with all good / all bad factions. I thought playing with both elves and dwarves or elves and men would be super fun :D

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 am

I doubt something like that is planned at the moment. But in a new game that might be possible as a special map (in the original game creating a map with something like that wasn't possible)

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm

I am not a fan of adding and separating factions, it is also very difficult to balance for not saying more work creating models and animations..
I understand why people want to separate Gondor and Rohan, since we spent a lot of time with them in the movies, but both are Men of the West and Rohan as an army only had the Éored, every man in Rohan was a good rider and the "infantry" of the movies was because you can not bring your horse to a wall.
Elves can be divided into High Elves (Rivendell and Lindon) and Gray Elves (Mirkwood and Lorien), but both would be the same: badass archers.
The fact that Mordor is made up of several nations (Rhun, Khand, Harad, Umbar and Mordor) is part of different styles of play for a single faction and shows how powerful Sauron was.
Men of the West has the Rohirric style of cavalry or the Gondorian style of infantry.
The elves have the disciplined style of the High Elves or the guerrilla style of the Gray Elves.
Mordor has the style of orc / troll spam or the elite troop style of corrupt men.
t is not only competitiveness, it is making 6 very different factions among themselves and with different styles of play.
Hell, I would even support the idea of merging Angmar with the Goblins to have 3v3. It is also not fair to get angry and demand more from this team.

LordWies

Post by LordWies » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:07 am

Fractions and Heroes

Humans:
Gondor - Faramir, Boromir, Gandalf
Rohan - Theoden, Eomer, Eowin
Dale - Bard the Bowman

Elves:

Rivendell - Elrond, Glorfindel, Arwen
Mirkwood - Thranduil, Tauriel, Legolas
Lothlorien - Celeborn, Galadriel

Dwarves:

Erebor - Thorin, Dain, Dwalin
Khazad-dum - Balin, Oin, Ori

Orcs/Goblins/Evil:

Mordor - Sauron, Witch-king, Gothmog,
Isengard - Saruman, Lurtz, Ugluk
Gundabad - Azog, Bolg
Goblin-town - Great Goblin

Lord Golgir

Post by Lord Golgir » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:30 pm

The plan to stick with the original 6 factions makes a lot of sense. Adding Angmar later also makes sense because it was already made in RotWK.

While I understand why people want Men split into Rohan and Gondor, it's not necessary. They truly are all Men. There's enough content to justify splitting them. But Men does allow for all Men to be united into one faction, and they're often all seen fighting together as Men in the books/movies. Also, if you split Men into Gondor and Rohan, you are now excluding any Men from the North, such as Dunedain or Men of Dale. By the same reasoning for splitting Men into Rohan and Gondor, they should also make a North faction or Dunedain faction. It makes more sense to simply keep all Men under the faction of Men. This makes Men and Mordor similar factions, because Mordor also has tons of heroes, and Southron/Easterling units, which could be their own faction too.

Basically, if they split Men into Gondor and Rohan, they exclude all Men who are not associated with Gondor or Rohan. And if they split Men into Gondor and Rohan, then the same reasoning should be applied to split Mordor into Sauron and Southrons/Easterlings.
There's talk of strange folk abroad...

Lord Golgir

Post by Lord Golgir » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Following my previous post for why I think they should stick to the original 6 teams + Angmar, if they were trying to make more factions to represent all groups of Middle Earth, then this would be my recommendation, influenced by my favorite board game: War of the Ring - 2nd Edition.

Free Peoples: Gondor, Rohan, Elves, Dwarves, Northmen (Hobbits are with Northmen because they protected the Hobbits)

Shadow: Sauron, Isengard, Southron/Easterlings (Those are the factions from WotR, but to balance Reforged, I'd adjust Shadow to be: Sauron, Isengard, Southron/Easterlings, Angmar, Goblins)

Not going to lie, their plan to do 6 + Angmar resulting with 7 factions bothers my OCD... Needs to be an even number :lol:
There's talk of strange folk abroad...

Shadowofwar27

Post by Shadowofwar27 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:10 am

I Believe that when starting the game you can choice different factions inside a factions.

Elves - Three different kingdoms Lorien, Imlardis and Mirkwood. You should have choice before the start of the game when picking elves. Lorien and Mirkwood are more scouty early but in mid and end game have stronger units to unlock. Well Imlardis is beefy from the start.

Dwarves - Erebor and Iron Hills.

Rohan and Gondor should definitely be separate hence the topic has already been created in forums.

Mordor - you should be able to pick which orcs you want Mordor orcs, Dol Guldur and Minas Morgul.

Goblins - should have a choice between Goblin town or Moria.

Eventually if Angmar is created you will have gundabad, Carn Dum and hillman tribe all as one.

Only opinion but I think some would definitely agree!
Sorry if there is any bad grammar or spelling!