Factions

Moderator: Solethria

batyu

Re: Factions

Post by batyu » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 am

I think we can be extremly happy if there will be a new bfme- at all. And the most realistic way of doing it is to recreate the old games.

I think the only realistic wish could be some new unit, new mechanics, maybe Rohan and Gondor do the split. But 6 faction gives you already a very rich game... i think thats why we all here, we loved the all games.

/dividing by races doen't make much sense, there were uruks in Mordor aswell, and trolls and orcs didn't fought for themselfes.

Zhao Yun

Post by Zhao Yun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm

batyu wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 am
I think we can be extremly happy if there will be a new bfme- at all. And the most realistic way of doing it is to recreate the old games.

I think the only realistic wish could be some new unit, new mechanics, maybe Rohan and Gondor do the split. But 6 faction gives you already a very rich game... i think thats why we all here, we loved the all games.

/dividing by races doen't make much sense, there were uruks in Mordor aswell, and trolls and orcs didn't fought for themselfes.
agreed
it would be best to make factions like in original...than maybe later release patch with splited factions

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 pm

I can concede that simply getting the first stages of the game done first are a priority, even if that means the game isn't exactly how I would prefer it.

I guess my next concern is: will the factions PLAY differently? I think a fair criticism of the original BfME games is that the factions felt kinda samey with some cosmetic differences. I realise that that is probably the easiest way to balance the game but it doesn't seem all that creative. Each faction is distinct from each other within Middle-Earth and I feel like the game could make those differences more pronounced for a more interesting game experience.

Some ideas:
* Elves gain bonuses to range, vision and camouflage to emphasise an ambushing play style.
* Goblins could have weak but larger horde sizes and lower unit costs to emphasise a swarm play style, and even maybe sacrifice their units for stat boosts to bolster the theme of disposability.
* Isengard could have more expensive units but cheaper upgrades, emphasising Quality over Quantity

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:46 pm

batyu wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:28 am

I have to disagree. I would definetly prefer the old BfME with distinct and unique factions, instead of just better graphics.

Also, dividing by races is what has been done to the good factions in BfME and will apparently be done here for them as well, by not dividing Gondor and Rohan or the different elf factions. So the question is, why do it only for half of the factions and not consequently.

Lhtn

Post by Lhtn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 am

in Factions of the game, especially in relation to faction Men, you would have them for example in Gondor and Rohan, or will do something like the possibility of buying everything from the Army as in the case of Rohan the constructions like Archery Ranger with the Yeoman Archers, the Farms with the Peasants, an Armory, resembling a bit with Battle for Middle-Earth 1...

killernijntje

Post by killernijntje » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:35 pm

I too think, as mentioned above, that splitting up the Men of the West factions into Rohan and Gondor would be a great decision. Since they are completely distinct factions, both visually and gameplay wise. Just like Mordor and Isengard are completely different.

The only downside would be balancing, but I think that with the help of beta testers the balancing, even though tedious is reachable.

Keep up the good work guys!

Cheers!

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:50 pm

I dont understand the contradiction of most the people here.
First everyone agree that Men of the West should be splitted as Gondor and Rohan are different (I agree), but no the other hand everyone agree that Elves should be one faction :?: :?:
Lorien, Imlandris and Mirkwood are completely different.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 pm

I agree that woodelves and high elves should be seperated, but I don't think Mirkwood and Lorien should be seperated too, as they are far too similar.

Silinef

Post by Silinef » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:29 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:46 pm
I agree that woodelves and high elves should be seperated, but I don't think Mirkwood and Lorien should be seperated too, as they are far too similar.
I disagree that Mirkwood and Lorien is the same. We have huge amount of egzamples of units from the Hobbit (Mirkwood), and few from LOTR (Lorien). People turn on your imagination and add new units based on the characteristic features of every faction. Also we have to know differences between elven factions, we can find those unique features. Rivendell can have strong elven cavalry with Glorfindel, strong pickes, but weaker archers and infantry. Lorien has the best archers and a lot of unique archers, weaker other positions. Mirkwood has stronger infantry and archers, we have seen great models from the Hobbit. So we can Combine and have fun from that.

PusTula

Post by PusTula » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Those of you guys, who want he elves, orcs etc. to be separated into different factions, or making Rhun and other ones.

The problem, with succeeding these tasks is that they are not complete. They were not made by the original creators of bfme. Not like Rohan, and Gondor. Those who think Men should be separated and the others shouldn't, I think I can say that: they know Rohan and Gondor were already made once. So it's a lot less work to recreate them into Reforged.

Even if you think that creating these factions worth the price of time and effort. You all can agree that this project even itself can be a really time-consuming thing. Even if the Reforged guys are reworking bfme it's still an absolutely new game, and they have plenty of maps, campaigns, AI and even balancing to be done.

If they ever want to get to the end of this, they cannot undertake things like 8-10 factions with 3-4 absolutely new ones in the repertoire. Not to mention that it doesn't matter how much I love this game, still we can say that even with at least 6 factions, the differences between the factions aren't too considerable.

I think they should have the maximum number of factions of 7 (including Angmar as they said in the QNA video later on) and only if they are able, separate the Man race.