Factions

Moderator: Solethria

Steemrider2015

Faction: Rohan

Post by Steemrider2015 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 am

I think it would be really cool to have Rohan as its own faction because i use to play bfme and bfme 2 all of the time but i
found that it would have been so much more fun. There would be some potential units from the horse riders and trained soldiers to the peasants and farmers.

Ranger of the North

New Factions

Post by Ranger of the North » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am

What factions should we expect to see at release?

Will it start with updated versions of the 4 in BFME or have a version of BFME2's factions? I'd personally like to see new factions fleshed out in light of the Hobbit films expanding what we saw on screen.
For example:
- splitting elves into Noldorin speaking (Rivendell and Lindon) & Sindarin (Lorien and Mirkwood) factions. There's plenty of heroes to fill both rosters as well.

- Dol Guldur: include the armies seen in the films from Mt. Gram and Mt. Gundabad. Heroes could include Azog, Bolg, Smaug, the Necromancer, and maybe Khamul and two other Nazgul to share them with Mordor. In the books Khamul was for a time in charge of Dol Guldur so it fits the Canon as well.

- Eriador and Rhovanian factions with their free peoples would make for a fun add on down the road

Second_breakfast

Re: Factions

Post by Second_breakfast » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 am

For my own two cents having the core factions is a really good idea but the only downfall is the whole community has been playing with those core factions for very long time and I don't want to see the community get tired of those factions.

Yes it's a great idea to have a starting point and have your projection, but we shouldn't dwell on those factions for a long time yes they need to be balanced and then be complete before we move on.

But may I say that some of the new factions from some of the existing mods in the community having some of the funnest factions I ever played in BFME 2, playing the Misty Mountains with all the new Heroes and units was such a fun addition to the game especially bringing in more of a thrill factor in actually playing a faction.

My advice is to make sure that we have every faction when the game launches balanced and ready to play but don't launch the game until everything is balanced. After that I would move on immediately to creating a new faction would be a good idea to keep the life in the community and to build the community.

cjed2004

Post by cjed2004 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Just want to say that i am so exited that this project is being made!

So the idea I have for factions would be to have a 'race' category, then a 'faction' or 'flavor' category, or called something simmilar.
For example, Race: men would have the factions gondor and rohan (possibly more?), Elves would have lorien, mirkwood, rivendell etc. When you select who you would like to play as, you select men, then the next box would give you the factions of men.

My thoughts being that all of the races would be simmilar, but each faction would have slight differences in heros, powers, units, stats and slight cosmetic differences. This would make it a little easier to develop. Gondor swordsmen and rohan swordsment would be almost identical other than how they look, perhaps some slight tweaks can be added later. Mirkwood and lorien could start of identical in the beta, then small changes can be added in updates (building models, unit skin/models, heros, powers etc.
So my proposed list would be:

Men - Gondor & Rohan (dale, maybe dunedain later?)
Elves - Imladris/rivendell, Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Lindon
Dwarves - Erabor, Iron Hills
Orcs - Mordor, Isengard (Gundabad, dol guldur later?)
Corrupted Men - Harad, Umbar, Rhun, Angmar
Goblins - Misty Mountains, White mountains

I would say start with one of each race, then you have the template for the next flavor

ArnorianReclaimer117

Post by ArnorianReclaimer117 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 pm

For Mordor, alongside the base units, will the team be adding any elite units, like the Black Uruks? The BFME games, and other lotr games (before LOTRO, Shadow Of Mordor, and Shadow Of War) besides Return Of The King, overlooked the fact that Sauron did have Uruks within his armies during the Third Age. It’s a minor addition, but an idea nonetheless.

Also, let’s face it, the Uruk-Hai, whether they’re from Mordor or Isengard, are badass.

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Personally I would strongly advocate for Rohan to be its own faction. I think BfME 2's biggest mistake was merging Rohan and Gondor together.

The problem I have with it is that in BFME 1 they worked perfectly well separate from each other and simply needed fleshing out with BfME 2 ... but I don't imagine that EA gave EALA enough time to iterate on the factions to make them even better, so the path of least resistance was to mash them together and call it a fully developed faction.

Gondor's biggest strength should be its infantry. Rohan's biggest strength should be its cavalry. One faction should not get the best of both worlds. Also, RotWK ruined this by making the Knights of Dol Amroth Men of the West's elite cavalry unit instead of the Rohirrim, mooting Rohan's already muddled identity within the faction.

Rohan has plenty to offer as its own faction. It should obviously have the most powerful and accessible cavalry in the game. It could have middle of the road infantry, a variety of leadership heroes, and weak siege capability, giving it a distinct play style.

echo

Post by echo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:58 pm

I agree that Rohan would make a good faction, and have a nice unique playing style. But since you need to keep a evil faction for every good faction, you should have another evil faction. So here is a idea that I propose (even though it seems like every one has there own different ideas on what this should look like):
Mordor vs Gondor
Isengard vs Rohan (never made sense for Isengard vs Elves)
Goblins vs Dwarfs
Dol Guldur vs Elves
Dol Guldur vs elves is actually LOTR historically accurate if I remember right. It was the Witch-King (being the lieutenant of Sauron) that lead his evil forces against the elves of Mirkwood in the War of the Ring, thus making it a ideal faction. You might say that there are not enough units/buildings for Dol Guldur, but there wasn't enough for Angmar, but EA made that work. I think that you could have Rohan be very close to what it was in BFME I and have Dol Guldur be close to Angmar with a strong and unique spider cavalry (and trolls are also renowned for being in Dol Guldur... And so are magicians, making it very close to Angmar in RotWK).
Also my thoughts are make sure it keep it simple, like the BFME: Reforged team said in one of their YouTubes, we should remember this is a game based on the LOTR and its main purpose is to be fun.
(if you agree or disagree, please reply so we can at lest know if this is a good idea or not)

Sincerely,
Echo

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Do we really need equal numbers of good and evil factions though? I never understood this line of thinking from EALA when BFME 2 was originally released, especially when they threw away their own logic with the release of Angmar in RotWK, making the ratio of good to bad factions 3:4.

As much as I'd love to see Dol Guldur in some form within BfME: Reforged, I think it'd work more as a sub-faction or specific building for Mordor. It was Khamul, the Witch-King's second in command, that led the assault on Lothlorien from Dol Guldur during the War of the Ring, so there is plausibility to your idea, Echo. I'm not necessarily convinced that each faction needs a corresponding "opponent" faction, though.

If there really needed to be equal number of factions, I'd argue that Men of the East would be a large enough faction. There's Rhun, Khand, Umbar and Harad to draw from. Mordor could still draw from Dol Guldur, Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol for unit ideas, as well as Udun, Gorgoroth and Nurnen.

Armies from Rhun sieged Erebor and Dale during the War of the Ring, so you could potentially argue that Dwarves vs MotE could be a faction rivalry. Elves vs Goblins could also be a faction rivalry, as Goblins from Moria tried to follow the Fellowship into Lorien. Also, Elves vs Goblins was pretty significant in the BfME 2 Campaign.

ArnorianReclaimer117

Post by ArnorianReclaimer117 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Having Dol-Guldur as it’s own faction wouldn’t be a bad idea actually.

Mako

Post by Mako » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Hello,

I strongly suggest to keep 6 factions. It will be easier to balance them.

Aim to create a competitive game and you will have best active community. Fall developing 10k hereos and factions and you fall in the same other mods with better graphics.

Look Sc2. 3 factions and still best competitive RTS game.