Tekka

Re: Factions

Post by Tekka » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Would also like Angmar and Arnor or Moria :mrgreen:

8mminteca

FACTIONS AND SUBGROUPS

Post by 8mminteca » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:56 am

Hello everyone.
I've just made my account so I could join the discussion about factions.
My personal opinion is that every race/faction should have their own subgroups that you can choose before starting the online/LAN match:

Good side:
1. Men - Rohan/Gondor
2. Dwarves - Moria/Erebor
3. Elves - Rivendell/Lothlórien
4. (optional) Hobbits

Evil side:
1. Orcs - Mordor/Isengard
2. Goblins - Moria/Erebor
3. Men - Easterlings/Dunlendings
4. (optional) Angmar

I left blank on Hobbits and Angmar because there's a lot to discuss about them since they're optional.
IMO there shouldn't be like 10 heroes for one subgroup which means that 1 player shouldn't have access to all men heroes at once, as well as 1 goblin player shouldn't have access to Azog/Bolg and Goblin King at the same time.
Factions that have lesser number of available heroes than the other ones, should have army building advantages like faster building units, higher number of soldiers in 1 unit, maybe their heroes should be slightly stronger (higher amount of hp; higher damage; splash damage; ability to produce units, etc.).

This is just my general idea/opinion of how it should look like. There's a place for tweaking those factions and their subgroups. I'm a die-hard Tolkien fan for the last few decades and i'd be glad to help you guys out with ideas/lore info!

BFME reforged has a LOT of potential so I'd highly suggest that devs take their time and don't rush it at all. We'd all like to see masterpiece instead of unfinished garbage.

Kindest regards
Inteca
Inteca

Lostir

Re: FACTIONS AND SUBGROUPS

Post by Lostir » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum.
There is already a thread discussing this topic so it might be better just to merge these two.

The current plan includes having all 6 BfME2 factions and adding Angmar a bit later.
Also, I'd expect most factions being rather close to the original game.

8mminteca

Post by 8mminteca » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Well, i guess that i'll wait for official release of rts based on lotr books and movies if it ever happens since it obviously isn't wise to spend any $ on this right now, unless we get to see something concrete instead of drawings and trailers.

"The current plan includes having all 6 BfME2 factions and adding Angmar a bit later" Men, Elves and Dwarves are races. Isengard and Mordor AREN'T RACES. Goblins ARE RACE. That is one of the stupidest thing that I've ever encountered! So i guess that fan made game should follow stupid money-makers EA who knew nothing about the actual lore?

"Also, I'd expect most factions being rather close to the original game" I'd honestly not, i'd expect everything to be closer to the book and add some 10-15% from the movies with everything being close about 35% to the previous game game.
Inteca

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 pm

8mminteca wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:40 pm
That is one of the stupidest thing that I've ever encountered! So i guess that fan made game should follow stupid money-makers EA who knew nothing about the actual lore?
Merged this topic into the faction discussion.

Welcome, i guess? ...

I was going to reply after work to your first post but i guess you don't want to hear what we have to say and the reasons behind the decisions.

Also, no $ needed when the project is 100% free, all future updates included. But i guess we are just stupid money makers? Anyways if you are willing to have a normal conversation let us know.

Members of the team have read the books many times, btw. Reading a book does not equal making a game.
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 am

8mminteca wrote:
Well, i guess that i'll wait for official release of rts based on lotr books and movies if it ever happens since it obviously isn't wise to spend any $ on this right now, unless we get to see something concrete instead of drawings and trailers.
They released a lot of information about Isengard already and answered a lot of fan questions, which is were I get my information from too. And as already said above, it is completly free.
8mminteca wrote:
"The current plan includes having all 6 BfME2 factions and adding Angmar a bit later" Men, Elves and Dwarves are races. Isengard and Mordor AREN'T RACES. Goblins ARE RACE. That is one of the stupidest thing that I've ever encountered! So i guess that fan made game should follow stupid money-makers EA who knew nothing about the actual lore?
Every game design is a difficult balance act between different priorities. The current faction concept isn't perfect and a lot of fans have requested splitting men into Rohan and Gondor, or elves into Lothlorien and Imladris, though that would be a lot of extra work and this project is already tons of work. And EAs representation isn't that bad. It includes all major players during the War of the Ring. And if you call Men=Men of the West you get more or less a faction, as Gondor and Rohan more or less were allies since Rohan existed and fought side by side. Elves by being a race are kind of a faction in themselves. And dwarves are actually only the dwarves of Durins Folk + the Men of Dale, thus being a faction too. Goblins as a name isn't even correct, because the faction doesn't include only goblins. It should be goblins and other creatures from the Misty Mountains, Grey Mountains and Ettenmores, which fought the same enemies and thus were more or less a faction.
8mminteca wrote:
"Also, I'd expect most factions being rather close to the original game" I'd honestly not, i'd expect everything to be closer to the book and add some 10-15% from the movies with everything being close about 35% to the previous game game.
The main goal of Reforged is to make BfME2 playable in a new engine and is majorly aimed at competetive players. And keeping the game close to the base game makes balancing it a lot easier.
But so far, we have only seen Isengard, maybe other factions will be a lot more different from the base game.

By the way, if you want a much more modified version of BfME with a lot more factions, book content and unique concepts, I would advise you to give Edain a try.