Six Factions

Moderator: Solethria

BlackDouglasOK

Six Factions

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:47 am

There is this issue about which factions the game should have, a theme that has polarized and divided the BFME and LOTR rts community more than any other. The team has decided that they will reforge the seven factions of RoTWK and personally I would support removing Angmar.
Feed your dog, this is gonna be a very long post with a regular english ...
1. We are not rich elves: Add more features is something that would take a long time and for reasons that I will explain later, unnecessary. There would be more models, animations and parameters to add, balance and polish. It is a difficult and long process, remember that this team is doing it for free and they seem to be perfectionists. This type of project with this "budget" is very unstable, the fact of having Isengard close and in such a polished way or a miracle or the effort that the devs have made.
2. We are not wise elves: Many of the people who ask these factions do not know how difficult it would be to develop this video game. I know there are some experts out there and I do not blame new people for the actual video games who think they are good games for having hundreds of weapons, skills and big maps.
3. In the end we are all elves, and that is Good People: Most of the suggested factions would only add a variant of archer / spearman / swordsman ( gondor archer, arnor archer, yeomen archer, lorien archer, rivendell archer, orc archer, goblin archer, uruk crossbowman, black numenorean archer, haradrim archer, dale archer, dwarven axethrower) with a different skin. One of the main reasons for dividing factions is to have more specific roles, but in the end they all look like the same basic troops and the new heroes have unnoriginal skills like "leadership", "summon batallion", "cripple attack", "berserk mode"...
4. Most like elves: Most players will want to see rohirrim charging, uruk marching, handle the heroes of the Felloswhip or the great Dark Lords. Many of this suggested factions will not be used, will overwhelm certain players and will lack attractive elements.
5. The elves are not so powerfull alone: That the current factions are formed by different cultures and races makes them more varied and more freedom of play with diferent strategies, splitting them makes them more restricted and forces them to create unoriginal troops and heroes to cover their weaknesses.
6. The race of the elves is already numerous: Faction by faction (rowtk) I will quickly describe what they lack or are left over, because six is ​​a good number.

Stand Men of the West: This is the most controversial, since many people want to split it into Gondor, Rohan and even Arnor (basically Gondor in the north) Both kingdoms are eternal allies, they need each other and they represent the race of men very well. Rohan militarily is little more than cavalry and Gondor lacks that. A player could focus his style of play with the disciplined Gondorian infantry or with the powerful éored. I think the Dol Amroth knights and Rohan spearmen take a lot of credit from the mighty Rohirrim and should be removed.
The Elves: Another controversial faction, since some people want to split it into 2 or 4 kingdoms (Lorien, Mirkwood, Lindon and Imladris), when this faction could have two styles of game like elite assault troops or a guerrilla style. I think the Ents and Eagles have to fit in here and I suggest that the BASIC troops have more generic names instead of all of them coming from somewhere (Lorien warrior-> Elven warrior).
Baruk Khazâd: The Durin's folk are too loyal (and stubborn) to be splitt. It seems right to have the people of North here, including Beorn and Radagast.
Mordor: This faction is formed by numerous races, kingdoms and cultures demonstrating the great power of Sauron and also the great potential of freedom to play with this faction.
Isengard: This faction belongs to the uruks and only to the uruks (and dunlendings), the most badass army of the middle earth. Although those Uuks-Deathbringers should be removed, they take credit from the Berserks and are uninspired.
Goblins: What characterizes this faction is to be formed many races and evil creatures, again this is a great potential of freedom to play, but un BFME it seems to come out more of a mediaval fantasy fanfic than from the Middle Earth.
Angmar: Then comes this faction, which also seems to come from a fanfic and died thousands of years ago.
That´s all

Lostir

Re: Six Factions

Post by Lostir » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

Then my question is, why have 6 factions? Every single of your arguments concerning the faction number would be even stronger for going back to the 4 BfME1 factions.

Also, your argument concerning Gondor and Rohan doesn't make much sense. You tell us that Gondor lacks cavalry therefore it shouldn't use Rohan, but at the same time you want one of Gondors cavalry units to be removed. Then why don't keep the knights of Dol Amroth and remove the Rohirrim, if you think that Gondor has too much cavalry?
And Rohan had a unique and interesting playstyle in BfME1, so it will defintely work as afaction.

BlackDouglasOK

Re: Six Factions

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Lostir wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am
Then my question is, why have 6 factions? Every single of your arguments concerning the faction number would be even stronger for going back to the 4 BfME1 factions.

Also, your argument concerning Gondor and Rohan doesn't make much sense. You tell us that Gondor lacks cavalry therefore it shouldn't use Rohan, but at the same time you want one of Gondors cavalry units to be removed. Then why don't keep the knights of Dol Amroth and remove the Rohirrim, if you think that Gondor has too much cavalry?
And Rohan had a unique and interesting playstyle in BfME1, so it will defintely work as afaction.
1. I have to say that it is a good question, if we were guided only by the points that I published the best thing would be to make two factions (Evil vs Good): Why six and not less? The six factions are a very balanced representation of the races of Middle Earth grouped by motivations and relationships: The Men of the West (Rohan and Gondor) share ancestors, they are the closest allies that they have and are the engine of the world of man. Elves, Ents and Eagles share isolation, decadence and a link with nature and each other. The Longbeards are the most prominent, diplomatic and important dwarves in the Middle Earth, with strong commercial ties with the Northmen. Isengard is pretty obvious. Mordor represents the immense power of Sauron, and the Goblins ... the Goblins are all the scum that did't obey Sauron or Saruman.

2. The Gondorian forces of MotW should show the need of the Rohirrim, not having a powerfull cavalry to humiliate them. Gondor needs Rohan and Rohan needs Gondor. Some will argue that the Rohirrim defeated Isengard, well, in the books the situation in Hornburg was not so desperate, and in the movies the Rohirrim would have been impaled if they had not had 15 points for the Cloud Break.