Some ideas for game details

Moderator: Solethria

Mithrandir

Some ideas for game details

Post by Mithrandir » Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I would like to suggest some ideas recording to game details.

I don't know if developers want to stay as close as original game when it comes to the core features or maybe they want to add some extra new features. I would love both ways and would say just before someone reads everything.

I don't aim (while I'm writing these ideas) to suggest changing whole gaming experience, these are just some ideas that could be cool and that would bring +1 feature or extra stuff that is cool to watch and enjoy the game even more.

Suggestions and ideas are based on making game more detailed and interesting so I will just write some of them and if it sounds interesting will make another thread with much more!

Some examples:
  • Structure features

So for factions goblins I will mention idea for goblin tunnel. This goblin that is bouncing around the mine. One idea is that goblins as a faction can get extra few resources (1-10) randomly (besides usually spamming resource that every resource-building get) when this goblin finds something because he is all over the place searching for something. Another one is when building is attacked and the structure health is critical, that goblin just jumps inside the tunnel before it collapses.

General idea is that every (or almost every) building or hero or unit has some extra features/options and cool animation or detail.

For examples buildings like barracks for goblins would be that goblin who is climbing on top of it, attacks nerby enemies if structure is attacked or summon extra 2-3 or maybe more (if certain spells/upgrades/updates/levels) are available for specific structure.

Maybe goblin cave could summon 20 goblins (and while they are coming out there would be light from the cave and extra soundtrack from the movie when fellowship is trapped in Moria). Perhaps dwarven barracks could summon 5 dwarves that have pikes and swords fighting enemies.

These special structure features could be upgraded from the structure menu when structure is clicked.

Another idea is for example spider pit where some units that are webbed and fixed on the building could be freed if structure level hits bellow 60% for example where they will join in a fight against enemy.

Some similiar ideas that are currently in the game as special stuff are for example orc laborers that are capable of fighting, selecting, moving, commanding which tree to cut or where to bring resources that are collected.

Other extra details are also in Men's market building where you can increase farm productivity and some other stuff.

I could write ideas for new structures and new options for current structures but would like to hear your comments first so I don't cover everything.
  • Heroes extra features

Similiar idea like for structures. Heroes even now have special abilites and each hero is unique. But I have some more details. For example, Boromir has ability to use his Horn of Gondor to stun enemy units, it would be cool if he could get extra 10 seconds of extra health and increased attack when he is about to die like in the movie. Also if he is shot by arrows he could do animation when he is falling on his knees than he stand up again. For example randomly he could get up after every falling on knees 2 or 3 times, depending on his level (and maybe surrounding forces).

For example Legolas could do special animation when he is killing Mumakil or a cave troll.

Faramir could change its model when he is in armour as a knight or when he is a ranger.

Nazguls could perhaps land on fortress walls (when they ride fellbeast) like in the movie and for those few seconds increase orc productivity in specific radius arround fortress.

• Units extra features

Add more units options that are similiar to Gondor soldiers that can change formation as well as uruk hai.

For example:

Some elven units that have both swords and bows could automatically change depending on where enemy units are. This feature could perhaps be upgraded from the fort or some new structure.

Similiar goes for Gondor rangers (they already use swords when are in combat but I'm saying that both of these units could change automatically or if player wants to choose for specific battalion only swords or only bows or automatically changing option).
  • Make units more compact in battalion (closer to one another), especially when you send them on fortress walls.
  • Units/heroes animation when climbing up the hill or going down. Don't make them have same pace and same animation, looks little weird.
  • Special animations when we want to hide elven units or some other units that have ability to hide in the trees. For example make them hide behind trees object, or take cover behind the rock so they are not visible.

For example like Glorfindel is hiding in mission 1 intro.

All these examples and ideas are bringing more diversity and intensity to the game. I would like to hear what you guys think. Is it overkill, is it too much to expand?

Zagloba

Re: Some ideas for game details

Post by Zagloba » Wed May 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Idea: good
Reality: mass of work
I like what you wrote, but remember what the team is capable of doing in their free-time. ;)
"A new power is rising!"

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Wed May 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Altough, a part of this could be implemented - creating animation for hiding stance isn't such a big deal.
"A new power is rising!"

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum! I like how you think out of the box when it comes to small details for the game. Although what Zagloba said is true, for many of these there is little chance it will make it into the game because the team has to manage how and where they spend their time very well.

If the choice is between extra animation details just for visuals or animations for a new unit, like a death or spell animation, the latter will always come first.
Forum Moderator

Clement

Post by Clement » Wed May 08, 2019 5:43 pm

I more than like the idea. In my opinion, those kind of details would be the reason that Reforged won't be a copy of the past games nor a huge update.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Clement wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:43 pm
I more than like the idea. In my opinion, those kind of details would be the reason that Reforged won't be a copy of the past games nor a huge update.
True, but you don't need to worry about that. The differences will already be much greater than the differences between let's say bfme1 and bfme2 were. Achieving a copy of bfme2 (with modern differences and advantages) is absolutely not a bad thing, bfme2 was a AAA game with a budget of millions. Still, the team has attention to detail and additions!
Forum Moderator

Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir » Sat May 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Solethria wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm
Hi, welcome to the forum! I like how you think out of the box when it comes to small details for the game. Although what Zagloba said is true, for many of these there is little chance it will make it into the game because the team has to manage how and where they spend their time very well.

If the choice is between extra animation details just for visuals or animations for a new unit, like a death or spell animation, the latter will always come first.
Yeah, I understand. The basics are on top list of priorites. But if there is time after all that, perhaps updating some small things could improve gameplay if devs want to expand game later.