max. building limit

Moderator: Solethria

phantomdood

max. building limit

Post by phantomdood » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I dont know if this already has been discussed but if not i want to do it here. In the original game we had no limit for buildings. When my friend and I play against it is always about who gets his second fortress faster. You could spam unlimited rescource buildings and defending buildings. The games often took 2-3 h playtime because of this opportunity. My idea is a max. building limit for better balance:

1/1 Fortress
6/6 Recource buildings
4/4 Watchtowers
2/2 Troop recuit building( 2 for each recruit building)
2/2 Troop upgrade building
1/1 healing station

Im from Germany i hope these are correct translation.
Let me know if i forgot some important buildings.

Last question: Is there a way to get access to closed beta testing because i realy want to help you developers to balance to game right.

Greatings from Germany :D

Solethria

Re: max. building limit

Post by Solethria » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I watch a lot of replay casts (these are mostly higher level play) and also still play multiplayer myself and I can tell you from this experience and also talking to others that the meta you are describing is non-existent in current multiplayer. Maybe that's just the way you and your friend play(ed) the game.

'Who has a fort first' means players from both sides are doing something wrong.

1. You are not spending your resources well (or at all) if you get to bank your money for a fort.

2. Your opponent is not spending his money and time/army well if you get to have the freedom to be able to make a fort. He should be way ahead in map control, resource buildings, army and siege which negates any advantage a second fort might give you.

This ties into my next point. For this very reason you should be able to make unlimited buildings. So you can get ahead and punish those that are banking their money for high costs units/upgrades/fort.

With the way bfme2 works, limiting resource buildings is not possible because this is also the way you get command points (CP). And again, your opponent is doing something wrong if he lets you build unlimited amount of resource buildings. This all means you are both playing a very defensive game, while the current and most viable meta is extremely offensive based.

The closed beta is mainly limited to the BFME: Reforged team. The open beta will be available to everyone :D

Cheers!
Forum Moderator

Jokuc

Post by Jokuc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 pm

No offense but it sounds like you're just not good at the game. No good players sit around all game in their base spamming towers and castles. If you're playing someone who knows what they are doing and you're just spamming buildings they're just going to get free power points from farm harassment.

I see this very often with players who have never played the game online before, they all have the idea of making the ultimate defense or whatever, causing the games to take 100 years.
Coder, mapper, player

phantomdood

Post by phantomdood » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 am

I think your right man. I watched some competetive bfme youtubers and i see what you mean. I would love to play the original game online maybe there is a discord to find players?

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:52 am

phantomdood wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 am
I think your right man. I watched some competetive bfme youtubers and i see what you mean. I would love to play the original game online maybe there is a discord to find players?
Yes, there are some discords out there, but playing through Gameranger you can often just find games on gameranger itself (depending on the time and day)!
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am

I never played patch 1.07 and mainly played RotWk competifly, but when I played it competifely, there were some rules of what was general looked at at unsportsmanlike play and only was featured in extra created games for that purpose. So players were only supposed to have two fortresses, no secret barracks and buildable towers were completly forbidden, as well as capturable towers and outposts. (The latter two were map dependant and could therefore be easily avoided)

Nonetheless, I believe there shouldn't be any hard limits and those things should just be balanced to be not too strong or annoying. Or there should be modes which allow the building of those and circumvent restrictions of classical mode.

Though a solution for the secret barracks would be nice.

Syso

Post by Syso » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:07 am

What do you mean by secret barracks?
Be noble! Let wicked fear your gaze!

DoDGeR

Post by DoDGeR » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am

I believe he means building a barracks somewhere else on the map instead of close to your fortr.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am

When a player has already lost, because he lost basically everything but still stays alive, because he build a barracks in the corner of the map or a different place that is hard to find and the enemy has to check the entire map to end the game.

WerewolfMoonHunter

Post by WerewolfMoonHunter » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 am

Building limit is bad idea. Okay: ther was something like that in BFME I wher we had only this building grounds but we had all system, walls at beggining and things like that.
in BFME II we had this that we could build as much buildings as we need and more. And it was good becouse it was part of strategy. And it still should be like thins when the only building limits are place and money.