Maps sizes and maximum units limits.

Moderator: Solethria

AloneFlaver

Maps sizes and maximum units limits.

Post by AloneFlaver » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi. I'm not sure if this topic was discussed before and I don't know if the Team has already decided something about that, but I want to ask if you are going to change the maps sizes and the maximum numbers of units.
BFME is a legendary game but it has one certain problem that I'm pretty sure most of the fans are agree with. I can't say that ALL of the original maps were to small (some of them were big enough) but the problem of units is a weak point of the game if to compare it with original books or Peter Jackson's movies. I always wanted to create a really huge army but there were no possibility as the computers of early 2000-s could not afford (EA even had to make a 'wave' system for battle for Helms Deep and for battle on Pelenor Fields so we couldn't see enemy's whole army at one time).
So I just want to ask if you are going to increase the units maximum number and, as a result, sizes of maps as big armies require vast lands (it can be made for at least some maps like Helms Deep, Pelenor Fields, Black Gates and some others).

Solethria

Re: Maps sizes and maximum units limits.

Post by Solethria » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 pm

While large armies were not recommended for the older games, it most certainly was possible settings wise to go even 100X command points.

The game overall never was meant to host such large armies though, with the exception of some fun offline AI gameplay and some fort sieges. That being said, I don't know this for certain but I think you can expect similar flexibility in the settings this time around.

I don't expect it to go super crazy though, since at first Reforged will be focused at multiplayer and the gameplay there doesn't resolve as much around oversized armies. I think you can expect smaller hordes like BFME1, large armies like BFME2 and the flexibility to go (a bit) above standard settings.
Forum Moderator

AloneFlaver

Post by AloneFlaver » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:04 am

Solethria wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 pm
While large armies were not recommended for the older games, it most certainly was possible settings wise to go even 100X command points.

The game overall never was meant to host such large armies though, with the exception of some fun offline AI gameplay and some fort sieges. That being said, I don't know this for certain but I think you can expect similar flexibility in the settings this time around.

I don't expect it to go super crazy though, since at first Reforged will be focused at multiplayer and the gameplay there doesn't resolve as much around oversized armies. I think you can expect smaller hordes like BFME1, large armies like BFME2 and the flexibility to go (a bit) above standard settings.
Thanks for the answer. Yeah, I understand that it would greatly change the game. Just, like I said, it could be done in several maps with certain conditions just like you've mentioned. Anyway, you guys know better what to do and how, and, despite how exactly the aspect of my question will work, nothing will change my mind that BFME Reforged will be a perfect gift for all of its community!

Ap0C552

Post by Ap0C552 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:44 pm

I think army size is definitely mechanics vs realism question, and I personally always favour game mechanics.

Larger armies and larger maps definitely have an effect on game mechanics. I think BFME1 really nailed it for army and map size from an RTS mechanics standpoint. I understand that some people might want to jump into BFME with the goal of recreating gigantic battles from the movies. Unfortunately, in my opinion that leads to giant unmanageable death balls of units.

ShockBlade

Post by ShockBlade » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Consider giving 75-60 command points when building resources. I always end up spamming mallorn trees for more units, i think we all agree giving a few more command points will help.

sakkar

Post by sakkar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:05 am

In my opinion it would be nice if we see more buildings giving cp. Something like market in Gondor but for cp. Or more variants to resourse buildings. Just adding more variaty so we dont have to have same buildings allround map. Something like command post or basic camps that would just give more cp, but will not generate resourses. Maybe something like command post could come with some non-armor/weapon upgrades for units. Maybe it could allow us to buy commanders for battalion that would give leadership bonuses. That could bring even more strategic elements to the game.

Sorry for bad English.

kyriakos000

Post by kyriakos000 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:29 pm

A good idea would be to use the Dagor Dagorath unit capacity system, where resourse building start with 20 cp and as they level up, the cp increases too. As for the limit, 1500 cp would be fine. It's not too much and not too few.
Now about the map sizes, I would also like them a bit bigger than the old bfme maps, especially maps with fortresses like Helm's Deep or Isengard, in which its wall cover a large portion of the map.

sakkar

Post by sakkar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Yeah, nice idea, the battles agains castle (helms deep, Minas thieth) should be bigger. I am casual player And I would really like to see bigger maps, do there could be done some epic battles.