Team AI troops more controllable

Moderator: Solethria

xXzombiestXx

Team AI troops more controllable

Post by xXzombiestXx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 am

Idk if you guys ever had this problem on bfme 2 but in maps with bases such a helms deep my archers would not stay on the walls and you could command them to play defensive, neutral or offensive. And when you told them to go on the wall to shoot at the gate enemies they would run all over the place in offense or neutral and waste time so I figured if I put them in defense mode they'd stay in place and shoot the bad guys but when I did so they e would just stand there unless an enemie crossed thier path 5 feet away, even tho thier rang is much longer. I hope the archers in defense mode will be much more reliable. The ai all around had issues with that engine 😂

Solethria

Re: Team AI troops more controllable

Post by Solethria » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:55 am

This is intended functionality though. The defense mode is actually called 'hold ground'. That name says it all, units will hold their ground and not attack unless units are instructed to do so or I think are attacked up close.

Battle stance is the normal stance that only follows units within line of sight (LOS) shortly or until they are out of sight (not to be mistaken by the sight they create on the map, that is the shroud clearing range and not their actual line of sight).

Aggresive stance makes your units follow enemy units until they are out of LOS or dead, which can result in units on the wall moving out of position because initially they might not be able to get a shot, so they immediately start chasing and changing position. Not ideal, but that's how it works.
Forum Moderator

xXzombiestXx

Post by xXzombiestXx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 am

Well I guess then what we need is a 4th option that makes them stand ground but still uses their full Line of sight. Cause even on the default neutral mode they'd get confused on helms on the wall and run up and down the stairs and when you told them to go somewhere on the wall it was a hit or miss weather they'd do it correctly. I'd have to show a video to explain better. I hope you understand my issues with this

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:43 am

Yes I know what you mean and that units can behave a bit clunky and weird on walls. Might have to do with pathfinding as well. Lets see how this will turn out in Reforged, things might work differently.
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:36 am

What you described was the complete intended behavior. The stances affected how aggressive units are, which means how far away enemies they will automatically attack.
If you want your archers to attack far away enemies, select offensive stand, and if you want them to stay at their place order them to stop (press S). That works without any problem.

So I don't see any need to change that. Nonetheless a couple of more commands for unit behavior would be nice. For example to follow a unit or to protect a target, or an easier way to make units patrol an area. Also a button for units to retreat to your nearest base/well might be nice too.

xXzombiestXx

Post by xXzombiestXx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am

See that's what I'm taking about, great ideas! More unit functionally would be so appreciated and yesssssss better path finding and less clunkyness would be very good. Also wait you mean to tell me if you press (s) the units will hold their ground and if I choose offensive stance on top of that they will maximize their attack range? ..... It really has been a minute since I read the manual 😂

I like how you bring up retreating and patrolling if you could draw a patrol path or maybe even have a sizable radius to assign them to that'd be sweet.

Also thank you for being so responsive

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, interesting ideas. Some more presets might be nice.
xXzombiestXx wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am
Also wait you mean to tell me if you press (s) the units will hold their ground and if I choose offensive stance on top of that they will maximize their attack range? ..... It really has been a minute since I read the manual 😂

I like how you bring up retreating and patrolling if you could draw a patrol path or maybe even have a sizable radius to assign them to that'd be sweet.
Pressing (s) will stop your units and all actions previously given, just like the hold ground stance does. Only then you wouldn't have to worry about them not attacking.

A patrol path is already possible in BFME, although not really used in its current state (press z to make a path, click on a certain waypoint of your path to create a patrol route. Units will attack enemies they come across) this can also be done live by holding alt. But like I said, in its current state not really used for multiplayer at least.

For a game that is not out yet, the forum is very active indeed. I also read everything :D
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:33 pm

The important thing is to first select agressive and then press S, else S will be negated.
Patrolling is possible, but feels really clunky and not at all that usefull currently. I'm only using the route planning for attacks at multiple flanks currently, or if I want to trick a cavetroll.

Another interesting order would be a scout order, which makes units move until they see the first enemy unit/structure and then retreat back to the starting position, while giving a singal on the minimap.