Rohan and Gondor

Moderator: Solethria

Gandolfini

Re: Rohan and Gondor

Post by Gandolfini » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:07 pm

If they can make Gondor/Rohan separation happen, I'm all for it. But if not the team should at least try to do a more even distribution between the Gondor/Rohan building styles.

Men of the West buildings in BFME2:
- Gondor Main Base
- Gondor Barracks
- Gondor Archer Range
- Gondor Stable
- Gondor Siegeworks

The original design for the Rohan Archer Range (from BFME1) was given to Dwarfs, so that wont work.
But there is no reason why the stables can't be swapped out for the Rohan one?
Maybe even change the main base to look like The Great Hall of Rohan?
BFME1 player

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I really like the idea and agree that it would be cool to give Rohan some more screen time, if the faction isn't split into too.

The stable would definetly be a good choice as a Rohan building.
I don't think the fortress itself should be the golden hall, as the golden hall is a unique building and furthermore, Gondor was a lot more fortress based than Rohan.
But the statue could be the Rohan one (or just randomly be one of the two).

Gandolfini

Post by Gandolfini » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Maybe release a Rohan reskinned version of the game thats compatible with the original Gondor version.

If you were to play Minas Tirith the Gondor structures would make more sense, but if you play Helms Deep the Rohan structures would make the gaming experience more captivating.
BFME1 player

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 am

Gandolfini wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Maybe release a Rohan reskinned version of the game thats compatible with the original Gondor version.

If you were to play Minas Tirith the Gondor structures would make more sense, but if you play Helms Deep the Rohan structures would make the gaming experience more captivating.
Yeah a Reskin is a great idea, make me remember that the original game did have "snow" skins for structures
The only problem is stuff like númenórean stonework

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:49 am

What about Numenorean Woodwork? xD

To be serious, a reskin is probably only worth it, if they are going to do Rohan anyway, else it would be far too much work. Else they have to make twice the amount of structures with VFX and animations. And at the moment there is surely enough different things with higher priority to be doen.

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Lostir wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:49 am
What about Numenorean Woodwork? xD
that the team wants better upgrade effects, I assume that this applies to structures. Motw architecture right now is made of stone so stonework upgrade would be easy, but idk how that applies to rohan architecture

Gandolfini

Post by Gandolfini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm

In BFME1:
Rohan had Ents and Elven Warriors.
Gondor had Eagles (summon only).
Rohan heroes: Merry, Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer, Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn and Treebeard.
Gondor heroes: Pippin, Faramir, Boromir and Gandalf.

In BFME2:
Ents, Eagles, Legolas and Elven Warriors were given to Elves.
Gimli and Rohan's Archery Range building model was given to Dwarves.
  • Giving Ents/Eagles back to Rohan/Gondor would make sense, as Fangorn, the home of the Ents, is close to Rohan and Eagles come to help Gandalf(Gondor) on several occasions. But this would also rob Elves from a lot of their lategame units. The Elves faction are probably figured out at this point, so I don't see this happening.
  • I also don't know how Elven/Rohan siege weapons would look like if this change happened, we don't have much source material to take from as far as I know. Giving them both Ents would diminish the unique feel they are going for for each faction. But if we take a look at some other factions, some of them share similar units:
    Isengard and Angmar both have Warg/Wolf Riders, and non-mounted Wargs/Wolves. I know they are different, but they're still very similar. Dwarves has Men of Dale, who are by definition, Men! So giving Rohan a unique type of Elven Warrior could still work?
Even if Rohan only were given Elves and Ents as summons (Palintir spells) and Gondor were given Eagles as a summon, this could still work out imo. I know this is a stretch.

But we can only dream. As I said, I don't see this happening any time soon.
BFME1 player

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Gandolfini wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm
[*]I also don't know how Elven/Rohan siege weapons would look like if this change happened, we don't have much source material to take from as far as I know. Giving them both Ents would diminish the unique feel they are going for for each faction
Edain has introduced a lot of interesting siege weapons for both Rohan and Gondor (large battering ram and siege shield for Gondor, Haycarts and Onagers for Rohan). And Lorien could have Beornings similar to melee trolls.

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 pm

All having battering rams would be less unique, and the dwarves have one very special
ents and eagles must be with elves because they have deep conections and relations with the nature and the valar (manwe and yavanna), also the elves taught elvish to the ents and the eagles are old friends of the noldor