Rohan and Gondor

Moderator: Solethria

Zagloba

Re: Rohan and Gondor

Post by Zagloba » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Lord Golgir wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:28 am
So basically, I'm saying that if they're going to split Men into Gondor and Rohan, then they should also make a North/Arnor/Dunedain faction too.
I don’t think that Arnor or any other „North” faction is such a necessary addition. How do you think it would differ from Gondor?
"If we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste
deff and defeat!"

Lord Golgir

Post by Lord Golgir » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:16 pm

True, Gondor and Arnor could probably be too similar to each other to fully justify it. Although Angmar also isn’t much of a change from the other Evil factions, so that doesn’t seem justified to me either. But I suppose the same thing could be said about Rohan and Gondor, they would fundamentally be very similar to each other if they were separate. I’d say that a North/Arnor faction could just be created in a way that’s unique in playstyle for Good. There would need to be some creative liberty used, focusing on Dunedain infantry and artillery, etc. I’ll be honest that I don’t know a whole lot about the Arnor history, but I do know that Angmar did much to destroy the men in the North. So because they made an Angmar team from scratch without any material from the movies, I feel like they could do the same for a North/Arnor team. To me, it’s very fitting, because I believe the whole purpose of the Rise of the Witch King was to use the armies of Angmar to destroy the remnants of Arnor.
There's talk of strange folk abroad...

Lord Golgir

Post by Lord Golgir » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 pm

The other thing they could do is simply add some Arnor features to Gondor, and call them something else (or just leave them Gondor). Add the Rohan faction, and that would leave us with 8 teams and some Arnor features added to Gondor, especially since those of Arnor and Gondor are the same heritage and would have very similar units.

Lord Golgir

Post by Lord Golgir » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 pm

For example, combine Arnor into Gondor and call them “Men of the West” or something like that, and make Rohan separate. Add features to Rohan too, and now we have 2 revamped factions from “Men,” rather than simply splitting Men into 2 lesser factions of simply Rohan and Gondor.

C-art

Post by C-art » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:00 am

I think Rohan could be independent faction. It was in BFME1. Of course it will not have Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. Dwarves has 3 (4) heroes without wizards, why can Rohan not be same? You can say, that Rohan heroes are weak, but what prevents to make them stronger? Add some new heroes, for example, Theodred with new unique skills? Think about spellbook, like huorns in "25 points". You can use some fantasy on book and movie basement. :-)

clapton_cream

Post by clapton_cream » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:42 pm

sakkar wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm
I like to see Rohan separeted too. Mainly becouse its only faction based around cavalry. I think when factions are focused on differend strategies and playstyles it makes much more complex gameplay. Also Rohan heroes support cavalry. I think that if Rohan will be in game it will make every match more different. It will be different if you play against Gondor or Rohan becouse Rohan should be from beggining weaker when they have only peasents and weaker archers.
Well we really want to see a diversity of playstyles and not starting the same way on every game , but in my opinion separating these 2 factions can be simply straightforward to counter. I mean when you face Rohan you simple start barracks + pikes, without any incentive to spy with bats / start cav or do something else. So that makes it every faction playing the same way vs separated men.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm

If you build nothing but pikes, the enemy can build peasants and just overrun you. The thing is Rohan has always been a lot more than just cavalry and it worked quite well in BfME1, where factions were a lot more unique and still balanced than in BfME2.

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm
If you build nothing but pikes, the enemy can build peasants and just overrun you. The thing is Rohan has always been a lot more than just cavalry and it worked quite well in BfME1, where factions were a lot more unique and still balanced than in BfME2.
In Rohan is all about horses, also makes now sense how Rohan can spam peasants like a populated kingdom.
Idk how four factions with similar spellbook and all things like OP Gandalf or Rohan hero army is balanced and unique

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am

In Rohan is all about horses, also makes now sense how Rohan can spam peasants like a populated kingdom.
Rohan has never been all about horses. It has always been a peasant and cavalry faction.
And concerning the populated argument, BfME is still a game, where certain mechanics have to be included which don't fit the lore. Why can heroes be revived. Why can the player recruit tower guards, who were a special unit doing nothing but guarding the white tree and tower, with not more than a dozen of them existing. There are thousands of things making less sense than Rohan heaving lots of peasants.
Idk how four factions with similar spellbook and all things like OP Gandalf or Rohan hero army is balanced and unique
Have you ever played BfME1 competively? I can guarantee you every faction and their spellbooks were a lot more unique and played different from each other compared to BfME2. And the overall balance was also a lot better.

C-art

Post by C-art » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:46 am

Lostir wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am
Rohan has never been all about horses. It has always been a peasant and cavalry faction.
Don't forget about book, where were good swordsmen on foot!