Teaming up with Edain team?

Moderator: Solethria

galaxymess

Teaming up with Edain team?

Post by galaxymess » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Will Bfme Reforged team get any help from Edain Team? They have lots of 3d models, artworks and ideas. I don't know. Maybe their models are too simple for Unreal Engine 4, but they look fine.

Solethria

Re: Teaming up with Edain team?

Post by Solethria » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:15 pm

galaxymess wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 pm
Will Bfme Reforged team get any help from Edain Team? They have lots of 3d models, artworks and ideas. I don't know. Maybe their models are too simple for Unreal Engine 4, but they look fine.
BFME: Reforged always welcomes anyone with great skills at their disposal, who loves BFME. The mindset of Edain overall is however very different from BFME: Reforged, as Reforged is looking to stay close to core BFME2 and not necessarily seeking to add everything the lore has to offer like many BFME mods do.

After all, it's up to every individual if he/she wants to offer a helping hand when the right skillset is apparent. Obviously, those that work on mods as huge as Edain, have a passion for their own project and are not necessarily seeking for another one. That's fine and understandable.
Forum Moderator

galaxymess

Post by galaxymess » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:32 pm

Maybe you should ask for help. There is one thing that worries me about this project. Edain Team made a big mistake by delaying their updates. They haven't released Misty Mountain faction for 5-6 years. And we don't know when they will release it. Maybe 2020 or 2021. I know they have other things to do, they didn't promise anything and they don't owe us anything but who cares? No one waits for 6-7-8 years for a d**n mod.

I hope you understand what i am saying. I don't want to follow or donate to this project if it takes too long time(4-5 years)

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Well, that's the thing. Nobody owes anyone, these are all fan projects. The fact such projects exist is a blessing in and of itself, no matter the time schedule. Fan made projects are just that, fan made. Meaning that out of all the passion and love for the game, people find time within their personal lives to spend voluntary on creating something everyone gets to enjoy. There can be no schedules, no deadlines and no promises since it's all based on people's free time. People can't announce what they can't predict. This is a non-commercial project, donating helps with development, not development with donating. That's not the goal here.

Now that that is out of the way :), the first closed beta test will start soon so even though there is no deadline or announcement to be made, I think it's safe to say the project will not take 4-5 years to release in its first state.

If I can predict something myself (as I'm no developer and therefore not part of the development team, so this is just a prediction as me being a community member) I would say open beta in 2019. I don't know how long you've been following the project but that seems pretty damn quick to me regardless.
Forum Moderator

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Guess you are the same guy who asked on Edains ModdB page. There they gave the answer that they can't support Reforged for legal reasons and Age of the Ring doesn't seem to be that optimistic about the legal reasons either.
The mindset of Edain overall is however very different from BFME: Reforged, as Reforged is looking to stay close to core BFME2 and not necessarily seeking to add everything the lore has to offer like many BFME mods do.
I wonder about that statement, as what you describe is basically the opposite of what Edain stands for. They value gameplay a lot over lore and have even cut quite a lot of elements from the mod over time, because there wasn't any place for them from a gameplay standpoint.

galaxymess

Post by galaxymess » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 am

Am I the only one who doesn't want them to do the same mistakes that Edain team did. Everything has a beginning and end. Edain team should've finished what they started but it seems like they don't want to.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:54 am

Lostir wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 pm
I wonder about that statement, as what you describe is basically the opposite of what Edain stands for. They value gameplay a lot over lore and have even cut quite a lot of elements from the mod over time, because there wasn't any place for them from a gameplay standpoint.
Yh i know things have changed, i guess personal preference plays a role in that statement as well as i just do not like the decisions made myself (i was also talking more about mods in general when talking about the lore). What i meant by mindset is, ofc mods are also limited in their options of additions while Reforged has all the options, that really changes things and shifts the points of focus and the skillset that is required.
galaxymess wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 am
Am I the only one who doesn't want them to do the same mistakes that Edain team did. Everything has a beginning and end. Edain team should've finished what they started but it seems like they don't want to.
Again, they are fans creating things they are passionate about. Bfme isn't a supported game anymore and they probably like new additions to a game they like to play. As long as that's the case, i think the goal never will be to 'finish' anything. I don't see what is wrong with that. I guess my mindset is different. I see everything these kind of projects create as an extra, a bonus to what i already had (or in Reforged case, never would've had which is bfme3). I don't see missing pieces and start thinking about what i could've/should've had.
Forum Moderator

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm

I am curious about the legal reasons the AOTR or Edain teams cannot work with BFME Reforged. What would them be?.

PS: I think the AOTR mod is far much better than Edains.

Solethria

Post by Solethria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

stormbringer wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm
I am curious about the legal reasons the AOTR or Edain teams cannot work with BFME Reforged. What would them be?.
The answer is probably very simple: They don't want to bring copyright attention from Reforged over to their mods. I think that's highly unlikely to cause problems though.
Forum Moderator