Navy System

Moderator: Solethria

Mithril

Navy System

Post by Mithril » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:41 pm

Will the Navy system be the same as it was in BfME 2? As in, you capture a neutral port on a coast line and then make Good Navy or Bad Navy?

I'm just wondering because I've always thought that this system could have been expanded significantly to be way better. The system could be expanded to be usable on many more maps with a few simple changes: factions can now build their own ports on sea and river shores.

Blockading rivers with a navy could be a viable option for maintaining map control. Also, having farmable schools of fish linger along the shores could open up another avenue of resource collecting, akin to Mordor and Isengard's Lumber Camps, where fishing boats could go out and harvest fish for resources.

Navies of varying strength could play a part in balancing the factions. The differing availability of fishing boats, transport ships, battle ships, galleons and siege ships could add a nice variety to the BfME experience.

* Men of the West should definitely have access to the widest variety of ships as Gondor has many ports, with Dol Amroth possibly supplying its most elite ships. (If Gondor and Rohan were separate, Rohan could have fewer types of ships at its disposal to portray its mostly inland culture and location, though some fringe access to the Rivers Isen and Anduin could warrant some potential naval upgrades.)
* The Elves proximity to the Anduin and of course the Grey Havens would give them the largest array of ships.
* The Dwarves could have access to a Navy through its connections to a rebuilt Esgaroth?

* Mordor could have access to the widest array of ships through its connections to Umbar (though its own Sea of Nurnen probably fostered some sea-faring capability too).
* I don't think Isengard would have a strong Navy. I'd imagine that Saruman would be too focused on large forces on the ground, but might not be averse to sailing a few of his bombs down stream in some sneaky tactics.
* The Goblins are probably the trickiest to give their own Navy. There are rivers that run near the Ettenmoors and Mount Gundabad that they could have used to develop a potential Navy. Though, I have to admit I find the idea of a horde of swimming goblins to be both hilarious and terrifying. If they were to get anything, I'd imagine they only get access to a basic set of ships, that being Fishing, Transport and Battle Ship, with some potential upgrades.

I realise that giving all the factions the same Naval power (and only developing assets usable by all Good Factions and Bad Factions instead of unique assets for each faction) like in BfME 2 is probably the easiest and least time-consuming thing to do, but I don't think it's the most satisfying.

Lostir

Re: Navy System

Post by Lostir » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 am

I think the navy is good as it is as an additional feature that is there just for fun.
Having a lot more difference in navy with different strengthes would just offset the balance on any map that has a river.

Mako

Post by Mako » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Agree with lostir.

It requires a big effort. Peter Jackson and tolkien didn't help us a lot with navy wars. And i think there is a lot of works to do for redo what has been already done.

Mithril

Post by Mithril » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

The balance on river maps could be a problem I'll give you that. Should all factions be equally as viable on all maps? Or should some factions have an edge over others on specific maps? A map dependant meta rather than a faction based one?
I suppose it depends entirely on how the dev team wants to balance the game.

Having said that I still think that the Navy system has potential make the game even more engaging. You could give each faction a basic set of boat types (fishing, transport, battle and siege) but then expand the system slightly with unique additions for each faction?

Men - Galleon, essentially a better battle ship
Elves - Storm Ship, changing the way you can play naval battles
Dwarves - Heavy transport ship?

Mordor - Galleon, but evil
Isengard - Mine Craft (the old Mordor Doom Ship)
Goblins - Super swift but weakly armoured transport ship? To support their swarmy play style? (An incredibly out-there idea would be to have mini Watcher-like creatures that rise up and attack enemy ships, like the Mind Controlled Squids from CnC: Red Alert 2. Totally bonkers but not entirely lore-breaking?)

[RiZe]Hypnotix

Post by [RiZe]Hypnotix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:31 pm

A better Navy System would be a cool thing for the future. 8-)
Achilles: Myrmidons! My brothers of the sword! I would rather fight beside you than any army of thousands! Let no man forget how menacing we are! We are lions! Do you know what's there, waiting beyond that beach? Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

BlackDouglasOK

Post by BlackDouglasOK » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 am

I recently came up with ideas for the naval system after watching the video of the fell beast.
I think the base system of capture ports and unified ships for good and evil is fine, but I think the ships are very simple. I would like to propose ships that fulfill a role, origin, unique upgrades and attractive strategies that are valid and important in the game.

Good
Swan Ship: Gondorian ships based on the ancient and powerful Numenorean navy, the ships with more HP and armor of the game and can carry a hero or one infantry batallion (stack damage upgrades and effects like fire arrows) that can land and attack if they are archers.
-Naval Ram: Increases armor/ HP and allows you to charge other ships causing damage depending on speed (also receives a little damage in return)
-Boarding: The ship can board enemy ships with low health and capture them if their units are melee superior, if not it will be boarded by the enemy
Mithlond Ship: Mithlond ships are the main transport ships, the fastest ship in the game.
-Cirdan’s Craftwork: Increases HP/ armor and automatically repairs damage after a while
-Straight Road: Increase a lot the speed for a short period of time
-Mithlond Sentries: The ship can will win more easly boarding attemps
Laketown Fishing Ship: This ship collects resources with an area system similar to production buildings.

Evil
Black Ship: This is the main attack ship, fast but weak, with the same advantage of troops on board as the Swan ship
-Boarding
-Pirate Flag: Increase speed and gives resources by killing enemies or destroying buildings
-Balista: Increase damage (especially agaisnt buildings) and range
-Deploy Corsairs: Only once
Mordor Raft: Main transport ship, they are slow but resistant and can carry more troops that any other ships.
-Hardened Hull: Increases HP/ armor
Isengard Fireship: I'm sure that Saruman would make a boat with a lot of powder.
-Boom!: The ship explodes by order of the player or if it is boarded or burned with incendiary arrows.
Last edited by BlackDouglasOK on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zagloba

Post by Zagloba » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am

BlackDouglasOK wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 am
I recently came up with ideas for the naval system after watching the video of the fell beast.
I think the base system of capture ports and unified ships for good and evil is fine, but I think the ships are very simple. I would like to propose ships that fulfill a role, origin, unique upgrades and attractive strategies that are valid and important in the game.

Good
Swan Ship: Gondorian ships based on the ancient and powerful Numorean armament, the ships with more HP and armor of the game and can carry a hero or one infantry batallion (stack damage upgrades and effects like fire arrows) that can land and attack if they are archers.
-Naval Ram: Increases armor/ HP and allows you to run over other ships causing damage depending on speed (also receives a little damage in return)
-Boarding: The ship can board enemy ships with low health and capture them if their units are melee superior, if not it will be boarded by the enemy
Mithlond Ship: Mithlond ships are the main transport ships, the fastest ship in the game
-Cirdan’s Craftwork: Increases HP/ armor and automatically repairs damage after a while
-Straight Road: Increase a lot the speed for a short period of time
Laketown Fishing Ship: This ship collects resources with an area system similar to production buildings.

Evil
Black Ship: This is the main attack ship, fast but weak, with the same advantage of troops on board as the Swan ship
-Boarding
-Pirate Flag: Increase speed and gives resources by killing enemies or destroying buildings
-Balista: Increase damage (especially agaisnt buildings) and range
-Deploy Corsairs: Only once
Mordor Raft: Main transport ship, they are slow but resistant and can carry more troops that any other ships.
-Hardened Hull: Increases HP/ armor
Isengard Fireship: I'm sure that Saruman would make a boat with a lot of powder.
-Boom!: The ship explodes by order of the player or if it is boarded or burned with incendiary arrows.
Finally someone posted an idea that I think is an approvable addition. It wouldn’t change too much while bringing some more differences between the good and evil navy. In the vanilla they were exactly the same, what kinda sucked. :?
"A new power is rising!"

Drvgfvm6

Post by Drvgfvm6 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am

I love your ideas. I also like how it would help map control with maps with rivers and such . I think this would add a whole new style of strategy to the game and all would enjoy it.