Realism vs Balance

Ask BFME: Reforged a question here or via email.

Moderator: Solethria

Tolkien RJJ

Realism vs Balance

Post by Tolkien RJJ » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:26 am

I loved the ents in BFME they acted as real ents. they took little damage from sword, archers, etc and were very powerful units. By the time BFME was patched up and BFME 2, they were nothing but artillery units that looked like trees. because of "balance" they received major damage from spears for example.

So my question is can you balance units in a way where you can keep an ent and ent, but balance it by making it cost allot more, take more time to build etc instead of destroying the lore of Tolkien?

Lostir

Re: Realism vs Balance

Post by Lostir » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am

I would say that ents are still really powerful, because 1 battalion of spearman who are only 15 ingame, are 150 in real life. Just because the ents are single creatures while the other ones are battalions.

Also, I think they have said that they want to make armies bigger which means that single monsters are getting a lot stronger in comparision.
But we haven't really gotten any gameplay information so far.
And about how the elves will be included we know even less. How similar they will be to BfME2.

Tolkien RJJ

Post by Tolkien RJJ » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:14 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am
I would say that ents are still really powerful, because 1 battalion of spearman who are only 15 ingame, are 150 in real life. Just because the ents are single creatures while the other ones are battalions.

Also, I think they have said that they want to make armies bigger which means that single monsters are getting a lot stronger in comparision.
And about how the elves will be included we know even less. How similar they will be to BfME2.
Its only partially about the overall strength of the single units like ents, for me its the lore. So to see ents taken out by spearmen for no other reason then they carry spears, that in reality would have littel effect on an ent, ruins lore. I am not longer playing a LOTR game but a rts game that has a middle-earth look. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it. just wanted to share my thoughts.

Lostir

Post by Lostir » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Then what should be able to deal damage to an Ent in your opinion?

And there is only so much realism a game can take before it becomes unbalanced,unfun or unplayable.

Tolkien RJJ

Post by Tolkien RJJ » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:11 pm

Lostir wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:27 am

I was thinking today it is not so much about spears being better against calvary than swords, of course, they should. But is that the object we want to force all our decisions on what we buy etc and does it destroy the lore of Tolkien when a spear can kill an ent easy while swords cannot. What makes a spear more devastating to an ent than a sword.

Tolkien RJJ

Post by Tolkien RJJ » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Lostir wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm
Then what should be able to deal damage to an Ent in your opinion?

And there is only so much realism a game can take before it becomes unbalanced,unfun or unplayable.
I see it the other way. There is only so much RPS before it ruins a lord of the rings game, turns it into a rts game. Balancing is easy. Lets say an ent acts as it did in BFME before it was patched. It took I think 1% damage from spears, arrows, swords etc but was vulnerable to fire, somewhat to axes, balrogs, heroes, trolls and it costs allot, was hard to build, took a long time to build, etc to me that is how the balance should be done, cost, time, numbers etc

An ent should take damage from everything, arrows, swords, spears etc but because of its tough armor, should take a very small about. Axes should do more damage, fire as well and brut strength such as trolls. If you think that is not balanced then make them cost more, take more time to make etc don't make then no longer an ent.